School uniforms

By , Kalamazoo, MI
Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

MusicPanda said...
today at 8:44 pm
Exactly. At my school we have a strict dress code of polos and khakis.All hair colors have to be natural. How are we supposed to show creativity?

EdubsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 29 at 10:46 pm
I agree with you. I would totally absolutely hate it if I had to wear a uniform. And at least at my school people don't really get judged by what they wear. I think it expresses creativity and personality. I get that some people say that if you have a uniform the students will behave better. Well that's not always the case because people will act how they want. If you take away their freedom of how they want to dress then some kids will protest and wear what they want anyway. There is usually a ... (more »)

ColdplayForeverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 2 at 1:03 pm
I both agree with this, and disagree. I agree because it takes less time in the morning to choose what you are going to wear. You can't say, "Should I wear the white polo, or the white polo?"I disagree with you, because part of your article is based on stereotypes. "Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black," you say. Well, I beg to differ. I can be a girly girl at times, and I NEVER wear pink. I wear black a lot, does that mean I'm got... (more »)

20caweis said...
Nov. 23, 2015 at 10:43 am
i really love this article well written

2coupelo said...
Nov. 4, 2015 at 10:08 am
I respectfully disagree. Uniforms have its pros too; wearing the same uniform reduces chances of students getting teased for what they wear. Also, it shows everyone is equal and prepares young adults for the real world by having their shirts tucked in. Some casual clothing does not look very appealing tucked in. “Putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebel against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music.” This is strong because ... (more »)

ScarletCityThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
If you wear school uniforms than you schoolmates will be more tuned into judging you based on the little things, rather your outfit as a whole. My friend used to go to a private school with uniforms. They made her buy a new set every year, and they changed the design so that you couldn't wear last years, even if it still did fit. Her parents transferred her to public school because they couldn't afford tuition plus new uniforms every year. Although, school uniforms would put an end to inappropri... (more »)

Allison W. said...
Feb. 2, 2015 at 11:50 am
I agree with this. I feel that one of the only ways some students can express himself or herself is through their clothes. Some aren't in art classes, are a class officer, or are on the student council where other students can express themselves. I feel that telling kids to wear uniforms it is telling them to be the same as everyone else and that we can all fit into a box. This is untrue. We are all different and students should have just as much right to express themselves through clothes as ev... (more »)

i_stand_unbroken said...
i actually read this in school as an assignment

MeaMario replied...
So did I        

Gavinator08 replied...
I did as well.

akapooaka123 said...
I think kids should were uniforms becuse   

kahna said...
I agree with your opinion. Actually, my school has school uniforms, but we only wear them on once a week and also on school events(like graduation or day trips). I like uniforms because we don't have to think about what cloth I will wear next day. However, I like cloths. I like fashions. If I had to wear uniforms every day, I think I might dislike them. Cloths show the people's identities. We should wear anything we like.

L.A.L.Etc said...
Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:07 am
Both have good points, but people should be able to wear what they want. Schools are incharge of a lot of things, such as where you sit in the cafeteria, what you can eat, how you have to sit and more. I mean i'm in junior high soon highschhol and there still doing that. What about when we grow up? Not all jobs are going to have specific uniforms, you'll have to figure it out, it;s better to make it a habbit. And if an intruder breaks in we'll all be put into classrooms, or somewhere... (more »)

katdaffin said...
Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:58 am
I respect your opinion, however, uniforms are not intended to stifle creativity, rather they are intended to erase the class distinctions that they create. For example, if uniforms were not required and students could dress freely, it may become a source of judgment between students. Students who don't "dress right" or wear the same pieces of clothings many times during the week because they HAVE no other clothes would be subject to the judgment and ridicule of other students. Scho... (more »)

izzy_0314 said...
That's really interesting actually.

izzy_0314 said...
Haha I usually wear uniforms for Halloween and stuff. Totally agree though.

SlowNimes7 said...
Jan. 24, 2014 at 1:29 am
Okay, pleated navy blue, calf length skirt, fitted peter pan collar pigtails, knee high sock and mary janes. Uniforms make me feel a little sexy.

bum bum said...
To be honest, I want to be in a school with uniforms. I'm always worried about my clothes and how appropriate I look to other students. I'm always afraid of being judged on what I wear, which makes me spend 30 minutes just to find the right clothes to wear. This has been a huge problem for me, because I don't have much money for clothing.

Madisen_Pavone replied...
But, what if your uniforms happen to be dirty or not clean much and you have to wear it again tomorrow and the next day without remembering to wash it properly? Wouldn't people judge for it too then?  Always having to be required to wear school uniforms is not really good. Most people don't like it and they complain everytime rather than studying and concentrating and stuff. So, think about it.

TanazMasaba This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:11 am
I used to be in a school where uniforms are required and YES it is a pain sometimes and I honestly can't remember how much I've nagged and complained about it...but now that i don't have to wear a uniform I kinda miss it cause like bum bum said--i have to be more conscious of what Im wearing and how it looks on me now. As for the dirty uniform part--well thats all the more reason to keep your clothes clean right? So basically its also indirectly helping you develop a good habit :)