Is Luxury Brand Clothing a Waste of Money? | Teen Ink

Is Luxury Brand Clothing a Waste of Money?

November 1, 2018
By Anonymous

Luxury Brands sure are expensive; however, some of these brands don’t use high quality materials, which is bad as you’re paying a high price for a piece that is not of high quality. Many people wear designer clothes just for the name; moreover, by wearing designer clothing their status and position changes drastically, which makes them seem rich or simply people with money.

Designer clothing is well know in the teen community. Many of these teens are fortunate enough to come from a wealthy family that can afford anything; on the other hand, common people are sometimes not able to afford all this luxury; however, they still buy expensive stuff even if later on they have no money left. Sometimes they do it to boost their status or position, they want to fit with society. Many people are impulsive when buying things; moreover, they don't keep in mind how these impulsive buys can affect them.

Designer clothing can be very expensive, but if you have the money to buy it go ahead. I personally believe that designer clothing is not worth the price, as you can get items that have a better quality for a lower price; however, keep in mind that not all the time the items would come from a big brand.

Moreover, I personally can say that I have bought designer clothing; however, I don’t do it to boost my status or to show off. I simply buy it for the reason that I like the piece. I have bought many things out of Supreme; however, I have noticed that the quality of their pieces, mainly their clothing, is not that great. Their shirts are the same Hanes shirts that you can get at Walmart or any other store; however, do to the fact that the word “Supreme” is on their clothing, it makes the clothing valuable. Supreme sells their pieces at a low price on release day; however, once the piece arrives to the resale market, the prices go up dramatically. This due to the fact that Supreme only produces a certain amount of each piece and they never produce the same product again, which makes the item “rare”. For example, one of their most iconic pieces are the box logo shirts, which is just a solid white shirt from Hanes, and with the word “Supreme” added to the front of the shirt. These shirts retail for around $100; however, the resale prices can vary depending on the shirt, some of these can come up to a dramatic price of $700. These are really high prices, but there’s people out there that are willing to pay that amount.

Recently, Supreme has collaborated with a Japanese brand called Comme des Garcons. This collaboration has also happened in the past. Their most popular item that was released was the Supreme x Comme des Garcons Box logo tees and hoodies. These items sold out in seconds with the tee retailing $54 and the hoodie retailing for around $170. As of right now the tee is reselling on the site called “Stockx”for an average of $320 and the hoodie has an average resell price of $610.

Stockx is a very well known company from Detroit, Michigan for reselling items such as sneakers: streetwear, handbags and even watches; moreover, Stockx makes sure that each single item that is sold is 100% authentic and shown to how the buyer has seen it, with no creases on the shoes or stains, they make sure the item is brand new.