Apricot Princess | Teen Ink

Apricot Princess

May 17, 2018
By Anonymous

If you want to discover new, vibey music, keep reading. Alexander O’Connor, also known as Rex Orange County, is the voice behind the album “Apricot Princess”. E is an English recording artist that grew up in Haslemere, Surrey. He has grown tremendously over the years with his well-liked, alternative hip-hop hits.

Apricot Princess is his second album that he released in 2017. It has the beautifully created songs of “Television/So Far So Good” and “Happiness”. Both of these songs are incredibly well thought out. “Television/So Far So Good” is very up beat and is about the good and bad parts of falling in love with a girl. My favorite lyric that resembles the happy tone of the song is, “There was so much happiness that we were still yet to find.” Happiness is a slower song, but just as good. It has such a cute meaning to it and the starting lyrics “I’ll be the one that stays till the end, I’ll be the one that needs you again,” really set the mood right away. The song is about a boy admitting his feelings for this girl, who he is directing the song too. Both of these songs are so genuine and unique, like all of his songs on his album.

My next two favorites on his album are “Apricot Princess” and “4 Seasons”. “Apricot Princess” is another unique one. In the beginning it starts off really slow, but then instantly goes to a happy, positive beat. Listening to this song just automatically makes you in a good mood no matter what. “4 Seasons” is his longest song on his album, but every second is worth listening to. It has a slower beat to it, but still incredibly catchy. These two songs have such valuable meanings behind them like, life goes on, everything happens for a reason, and not everything good can stay.

O’Connor’s shortest songs on this album are “Rainman”, which is only 44 seconds long, and “Untitled”, which is 2 minutes. Even though they aren’t lengthy they still have a lot of meaning that you can find in the music. “Rainman” is all instrumental which is personally not my favorite. Although I do enjoy this whole album, this is the only song I don’t like. It is kind of off and out of place from the rest. “Untitled” is the complete opposite from “Rainman”. It is extremely catchy and just like the rest of his songs, has a very good beat. The story behind the song is what is going through his mind when he is thinking about his ex-girlfriend, who he treated badly. All of his songs are basically his thoughts in song form and that is what I love about his music.

The songs “Nothing (ft. Marco Mckinnis)” and “Sycamore Girl” are incredibly good songs. “Nothing” one of my all time favorite songs. Everything from the lyrics, to the background music, it just all fits so well together. A line from the song that really stands out to me is, “Nothing else would ever be the same.” That line is a good representation of the meaning behind the song; the moment he met the girl he fell in love with. This song is one of those songs you can listen to over and over again, and never get sick of it. “Sycamore Girl” is a little slower paced, but is just as liked as “Nothing”. My personal favorite line is “And I don’t know how to be in love,” because it summarizes the whole story and meaning of the song, admitting that he doesn’t know how to be in love.

Rex Orange County’s last two songs on his album are “Never Enough” and “Waiting Room”. “Never Enough” is probably the most up beat track on his album. Listening to it instantly makes you happy. “Waiting Room” is a lot slower and has a very sad, depressing mood to it. It is very catchy, and a great song to listen to when your sad.

Rex Orange County’s album overall is so good and well thought out. Every single song has a special meaning behind it and is very easy to relate to the lyrics. O’Connor is a very loved artist because of his unique, well-written songs and Apricot Princess is a perfect example. I give this album an 11/10 and I 100% recommend listening to this daily.