Gatsby's Melodies | Teen Ink

Gatsby's Melodies

“Over the Love” by Florence + the Machine is a lovely song from The Great Gatsby soundtrack, but it was not chosen blindly. The song has a deep connection to the character Daisy in the novel. The lyrics “Tore my yellow dress and / Cried and cried and cried” refer to a sensitive female character, which describes Daisy perfectly. Daisy has a reputation of being this classy woman who appears to have everything she wants in life. To Daisy, this is not true because she feels trapped in her marriage with Tom, knows she will never be happy in it, and Tom is abusive. These lyrics talk about how the green light appears on Daisy’s property: “To undo what has been done / Turn off all the lights / Let the morning come, come / There’s green light in my eyes / And my lover on my mind”. The green light is a major symbol in The Great Gatsby because it resembles the love and relationship between Gatsby and Daisy throughout the novel, and the light reserves as a constant reminder to them both of what could have been. In general, the song is speaking about how Daisy is over her marriage with Tom and wants to be with Gatsby instead.

“Young and Beautiful” by Lana Del Rey is love song from The Great Gatsby soundtrack, and it is all about the love shared between Gatsby and Daisy. The song is told from both perspectives and switches between them, as well. Gatsby’s perspective is told from these lyrics: “I’ve seen the world / Done it all / Had my cake now”. The lyrics refer to Gatsby’s luxurious lifestyle and how he wants more now, which is Daisy. When Daisy’s perspective comes up, she speaks about how Gatsby makes her feel: “All that face, makes me wanna party / He’s my sun, he makes me shine like / diamonds”. Gatsby makes Daisy feel like living life to the fullest. When the chorus comes, both perspectives show: “Will you still love me / When I’ve got nothing but my aching soul?” Gatsby asks the question because he wants to know that Daisy is all his, and he will not lose her again. Daisy, on the other hand, asks the question because she feels insecure and thinks she is not enough for Gatsby. All together, the song reflects on both Gatsby’s and Daisy’s feelings on their relationship.

song analysis