On Reality TV | Teen Ink

On Reality TV

Something that I have developed a distaste for is reality TV. These shows often run under a specific formula that appeals to certain audiences. That in itself is not where my issue lies with these shows but is rather in the execution of the appeal. I am a firm believer that compelling cinema or TV is that which leaves viewers with questions in their head that will eventually lead to ongoing discussions with others. This can then bring light to idea that are seldom explored in depth. This form of entertainment treats these viewing experiences as a medium for spreading concepts and unexplored questions. This is rarely the case for reality TV as these viewing experiences as a medium for spreading concepts and unexplored questions. This is rarely the case for reality TV as these viewing experiences are created with profitability in mind. Reality TV shows succeed so easily because their subjectiveness gives broadcasting companies quite a few options for what to make their next show about. An example would be something like "Keeping up With The Kardashians" which seems to be panned by so many but still remains on TV because it appeals to a certain group of people that will keep coming back and watching it over and over again. One can tell that a movie or TV show is well made when it is able to transcend genres and or gain appeal from those who do not necessarily like that genre but are still captivated and thought-provoked by the show anyway. "Keeping Up With The Kardashians" does this lazily because it becomes obvious that the show is desperately trying to remain relevant in a world where trendy things change all of the time. Another thing that is often done by reality shows is playing out a specific emotion that they want the audience to feel which can work if it is done right but comes off as stupid and expressionless when done lazily. I believe that TV writers should put more faith in their audience's observance and instead provide hintsto that emotion. Reality TV appeals to our lazy consience which doesn't need encouragement. There's only so much that can be done though as TV is composed of a bunch of businesses competing for rating so that they can maximize profitability. Perhaps we need to be our own controller and distinguish between beneficial and detrimental entertainment.

Just some thoughts