Google Docs vs. Microsoft Word

Welcome back to the debate of the century – Microsoft Word vs. Google Docs. Personally, I use both, depending on the type of work that I’m doing. I’ll talk about Word first.

Word does have some flaws. It does save directly onto your computer, which is convenient. Yet while this may seem like an advantage, anyone who’s used Word knows that it’s a pain to send a Word document via email, especially if you use Gmail. Microsoft Word is also no good for collaborative writing. The editing tools are also ridiculously confusing. There are about 15 different buttons to change your font color, and it’s never clear which one to use. Also, Word requires you to save manually, which is annoying if you forget.

Yet Word does have some perks. Without a doubt, Word is better for editing. It catches far more spelling errors then Docs, at least in my experience. Word also has a built in grammar checker. Word is clearly the one to use for something like a resume, or something professional. The loads of editing tools help when you write something business-related.

Now let’s talk about Docs. Docs has a lot of advantages. For instance, it saves in your Google Drive, and not your computer. This makes it super easy to use with Gmail. It also saves automatically, rather than having to save manually on Word. This also makes it great for collaborative writing. You can share the document with someone, and they can edit it. You can even write at the same time. There’s no way to do this on Word.

Docs also has the built in Hangouts feature.  You can chat with your friends on the document, exchanging ideas while writing together. This is a huge bonus, and people who use it regularly understand how useful it is.

While I said that Word catches more spelling errors, it doesn’t correct them. Google Docs will try to guess the word that you meant and correct it to that. If the word is a unique name, Google Docs can add it to your “personal dictionary”. It will never mark it as wrong again.

Now onto Google Docs’ flaws, which I can’t say there are a lot of. The only one I can think of is the lack of a grammar checker.  Also, the spelling checker could use some work, but it’s enough for most people.

So, we’ve summed up the pros and cons of both. Google Docs is easy to use with email and has a built in Hangouts feature, which is great. Collaborative writing is easy. If you write alone, it’s easy to use. It doesn’t have a grammar checker, but most people don’t really need it anyway.

Word is no good for collaborative writing, and is kind of hard to use with email. It may be confusing to use and annoying to save, but it has a grammar checker.

My opinion? I think that Google Docs wins. I don’t think that people need grammar checkers and fancy editing as much as they need something simple and easy to use. However, I am a bit biased, having been taught to type on the computer using Docs.