Feeling Music | Teen Ink

Feeling Music

By ShadowMoon SILVER, Coronado, California
ShadowMoon SILVER, Coronado, California

Today, I listened to music.

Today, I felt something; something that I haven’t felt in a long, long time.

It’s the feeling that’s so powerful and so indescribable that even this description just doesn’t seem quite right…
Does music just seem unremarkable?

Not special.

Maybe you just haven’t experienced it yet. Maybe the feeling hasn’t showed itself, hasn’t crawled from the very pit of your being, the deepest, most secret part of you, that lets you feel. Sure, we have emotions every day. But humans don’t often get the chance to feel. To truly feel because of music- now that’s a rare quality. It’s when the violin comes out of nowhere or when the piano is playing a certain way, or the guitar hits a specific chord; when your heart skips a beat to match with the sound. It’s when you want to cry and tears come and fill up your eyes and everything becomes blurry but so full of light. And while this is happening, you want to laugh. You want to laugh with things and you want to laugh at things. You want to scream about happiness and sadness and everything in between. And your heart beats faster and faster and your soul fills up and bursts. Your eyes dilate with your soul and the veins propelling your lifeblood through you open and your arms and legs and fingertips tingle. Everything feels so far away but yet somehow, just somehow, so close, so in your face. And thoughts tumble everywhere, swinging in your ears, twirling in your chest, cartwheeling in your stomach. Your brain is a mess, a beautiful mess, splashed on the canvas of the cosmos, swimming in a million? no? a trillion emotions. And so with tears in your eyes and a bubbling laugh in your throat and a shout in your lungs and your heart hammering in your ribcage, fingers and arms and legs tickling and your thoughts summersaulting throughout and your soul fulfilled and earbuds in your ears, you have felt.

Today, I listened to music.