Support Stonewall: A Film Daring to Go Where No Film Has Gone | Teen Ink

Support Stonewall: A Film Daring to Go Where No Film Has Gone

By ShaquanMcDowell SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia
ShaquanMcDowell SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia

"Every generation needs a new revolution"

I feel it necessary and appropriate to preface the statements I’m about to make with a disclaimer: I am not gay, transgendered, bisexual, or queer and thus I’ll refrain from making assumptions as to how it feels to be in those positions. Why? Because I’m not educated enough to judge the emotional toll it must take, trying to exist in a world where you’re told to “be yourself” then scrutinized for being yourself - in that degree. Thus, I feel making largely unfounded assumptions regarding those attitudes, would be inappropriate.

Now that I’ve made that clear, I’d like it to be known that I do represent 3 communities this film impacts, and so I will speak on those: Youth activism, Entertainment Youth, Minorities in America, and advocates of Historical recognition. In respective categories, I’ll detail my empathy with each group, and why it is so that I have made my decision to support the film, regardless of the negative expressions vented by colleagues.

Youth Activism: Let it be known that I attend Brandeis University - Yes the Brandeis University, number 1 University in community service as ranked by the Princeton Review. If you assumed I am an expressive advocate in the area of human rights - rights of young people in particular (see my piece “A Child without a Nationality) - you’ve assumed correctly. My long desire to impact the world positively through the activism of young minds is what inspired my founding of my organization “The Purple Party”, and has lead to me to interaction with young people as tenacious and ambitious as myself. In my discussions, networking, and exchanges with these youth advocates, most of them expressed to me a desire for a certain goal : To present to the world new ideology and perspectives, in a new fashion. A new portrayal of thoughts and situations which have been glossed over, by a world that for so long, has possessed a one track mind. Being that I have followed and engaged with many of the young people in the film Stonewall throughout their careers, there is not a doubt in my mind that their purpose for participating in this production is rooted in this goal. They are attempting to utilize the medium of film to translate into young minds appreciation for a topic, so often ignored. For that, I don’t think they deserved to be penalized. I don’t believe their hard work deserves to be slandered. I don’t believe that they should be portrayed as possessing or participating in a production, rooted in malicious intent. They are trying to take action, and for that they should be commended. They are making strides when any their age are not, and they shouldn’t be villified for that.
Have you ever engaged in the entertainment industry, especially as a young person? As one who has, I will assure you, it’s not some walk and the park. The days are long, the nights are full of the next days preparation, and the next day is just as long as the previous. The experience, though enjoyable, is often draining and requires individuals to apply all of their energy into whichever project they are taking part it. What does this have to do with anything? Well , easy, the projects that an young entertainer chooses to participate in , are chosen wisely; this is especially true when you possess some form of notoriety. In case you are unaware, most of the young faces found in this film are quite notable; it is likely that their decision to accept the roles in this film , were decided as it represented a topic they were passionate about. They’ve invested blood, sweat, tears, and countless nights of studying and rehearsal to perfect this project, rejecting and inserting criticism without fairly giving it a chance is unfair. It’s a slap in the face to all the hard work applied by each person, who’ve placed their everything into this. Boycotting a film because a ton of secondary sources make assertions about it, without seeing it first, is not wise; it’s rejecting art, before witnessing its completion. How do you know the inspiration will not echo?

Trying to find the place as a minority to express your voice  in entertainment, or anywhere in America, can be devastatingly difficult. There are moments where we feel as if we shouldn’t be recognized, highlighted, spotlighted, and we’re not. These sentiments should not be disregarded and them I understand, but it’s important we not accuse a film of “whitewashing” anything, before we have seen it. From trailers, posters, and advertisement for the film, I have seen an array of diversity. I can not say truly how diverse it is, until I give the film an opportunity. If afterwards you harbor similar sentiments, then state your opinion, but how can you push accusations on a project you know too little about? Furthermore , some have discussed how the film inaccurately portrays the minority figures important during the Stonewall incident; in some ways excluding them entirely. To that I make this statement : Stonewall the movie is a fictionalized portrayal of the events, inspired by the actual situation. The main characters revolve around the fictionalized situation, in order to evoke certain emotions - emotions which will reach all audiences, to portray the storyline.

As far as historical accuracy : Like I said before, please take into account this is an art of cinematography. It’s fictionalized version of historical situations - creative license remains open.

Please understand that I am not excusing or discounting opinions -- all of them are relevant. What I am doing is asking that we don’t view this film through a limited scope, when it has yet to arrive in theatres; when audiences have yet to view the film for themselves. We can not properly make deductions or critiques, without actually viewing the work, from a first hand account. What we can do is celebrate the fact that this film spotlights a situation, which a few years ago , would’ve been deemed unacceptable. It highlights an incident which most are unaware about, and brings it to the masses. It attempts to venture into territory, where others have avoided stepping. For that we should celebrate, for that we should give it a fair chance, and for that we should support Stonewall.

Best,
Shaquan M.

Stonewall is a cinemagraphic piece, that we should at least take a moment to appreciate venturing into unknown territory.