Top 10 Underrated '80s Movies | Teen Ink

Top 10 Underrated '80s Movies

June 4, 2015
By righteousmomma BRONZE, Saint Charles, Illinois
righteousmomma BRONZE, Saint Charles, Illinois
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Smell that? The oozing, scrumptious cheesiness of teen ‘80s movies have finally dripped onto today’s not-so-original films. The Duff made its release to theaters in February, and passive pandemonium is still heard from teens throughout the nation. Dedicated to this movie's release (and a “Ha-ha” to “sophisticated” teens who worship The Breakfast Club more than they should), I have compiled a list of the best ten of the most underrated 80s films ever to be dug up from the pile of embarrassing Californian tans with blonde mullets. Don’t worry: not even true ‘80s kids will remember most of these.


#10: Some Kind Of Wonderful (PG-13; 1987)
This underrated Hughes film (yep, you heard correctly) includes the following: a cheesy love triangle, the rich vs. poor cliché, and the my-dad-is-so-pressuring-me cliché. These three ingredients make for a bland, almost tasteless film. Watts is the only reason why this movie is on the list...that and the self-conscious shower scene Hughes filmed to capture the true downside of unrequited teen love.


#9: Heathers (R; 1988)
Before I begin, big trigger warning: suicide and self harm is passed around the plot as if it was a household name, and that’s the worst. Despite the dark humor induced from the three Heathers (yes, the ‘Plastics’ of this movie are made of four Juniors, three of which having the same first name), this flips subtly as JD is revealed as a true bad boy that hollywood cannot romanticize. You may feel the same way as Veronica Sawyer, hating an appalling friend, but once Sawyer and JD make Romeo and Juliet seem like a pair of pre-pubescent primadonnas, you’ll hang your head-in shame.

 


#8: Teen Wolf (PG; 1985)
No, this isn’t the MTV television series starring Hollywood hunks who have chiseled, cheese-grating-worthy muscles on their bodies. However, Michael J. Fox plays the teen who transforms into a hairy yet embarrassed-of-his-genetics werewolf (when you get to Scott Howard’s first transformation, the “convincing” agony Fox shows is totally Oscar-worthy—not). The writers of this movie obviously set themselves up for scoldings from critics based on cliches...after cliches...after ‘80s special effects...after confusing character relationships. To save you from any disappointment, the number one letdown of this movie is this: Scott Howard does end up with her.


#7: Better Off Dead (PG; 1985)
“Man, what a hunk!” you’ll say as you spot young John Cusack. Truth be told: you’ll despise Lane Meyer for his obsession and self pity, but you can also relate to his situation. We can all relate to our own absurd mother who gives microwave meals as Christmas presents, suspicious fathers wearing aardvark sweaters, and break-ups with the love of your life, right? Wait, just the last one? Oh, right.


#6: The Outsiders (PG; 1983)
If you’ve ever wondered what the whole greasers/socs deal was, take this: “What’s a nice boy like you hanging with trash?” (-a soc to Ponyboy, who doesn’t act like a greaser, but is). Starring just about every male hunk from the ‘80s, The Outsiders provides almost every correct detail given about young men in leather (thanks, S.E. Hinton). Too bad this movie is so real, your eyes won’t be able to shed tears once the ending your heart shatters into more than a hundred pieces.


#5: Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure (PG; 1989)
Two burnout teenage boys who act like the adolescent version of Wayne and Garth? Check. Comedy and world history stirred within a two-hour span? Check. A strict father who threatens to send his son to military school because of his failing grades? Check. A storyline that has crater-sized plot holes? Check. Dynamic, pixelized, and offly blurry special effects that make us laugh at what we all used to deal with P.B.G. (Pre-Bill Gates)? Check. What’s missing from this movie? Oh yeah, of course: moral values.


#4: Less Than Zero (R; 1987)
You’re back from your first semester of college, your best friend is nowhere to be seen, and your boy/girlfriend missed you. From their inaudible cry for help, you try talking with them, only to be greeded by grief. Next thing you know, you and them are in a car, rolling away from your problems. Other than Robert Downey Jr.’s drug-induced lively character, who later transforms into a less lively loner, Less Than Zero is a reality check drawing a “would be/could be” map of the dark side of the friends we know as the happiest and most carefree.


#3: Uncle Buck (PG; 1989)
John Hughes was one of the best directors and screenwriters, and Uncle Buck is his best underdog “should’ve been.” From this movie, three important lessons can be taught: one, ten year-olds love giant breakfast foods but despise birthday clowns; two, birthday clowns are alcoholic party-goers; three, high school guys named Bug are egocentric, self-absorbed jerks. Remember that one phase you went through when you disobeyed your parents because, boy, were the walls of your room as bland as prison walls? If not, I’ll have to make a call to our kooky Uncle Buck for a visit.


#2: Just One Of the Guys (PG-13; 1985)
Ladies and germs, I present to you: Terry Griffith. She’s your average girl with an above-average lifestyle. That is, of course, until she decides she wants to change into a man to stick it to her misogynist journalism teacher (you go, girl!). According to IMDB, One Of the Guys spread controversy like wildfire...in a good way. Breaking gender stereotypes and identities, Terry/Joyce Griffith exposes more than herself: she reveals the inevitable list of flaws society dearly contains through the portrayal of a (temporary) transgender male.


#1: Dead Poets Society (PG; 1989)
Other than the pubescent jokes typically seen in male-only school setting movies (screenwriters, take note on this: nobody likes it when men make sexist jokes), Dead Poets Society offers a thrilling balance between typical Robin Williams humor and the lesser-seen, unappreciated seriousness of the same man. Students in Mr. Keating’s (Williams) poetry class learn more than the rules of iambic pentameter; they learn that in a pathetic boarding school preaching success but objecting individuality, they can overcome their stingy, arrogant demons.


The author's comments:

This was my final piece in the "reviews" unit in my journlism class second semester and I felt pretty proud of it.