Musically Stereotyped | Teen Ink

Musically Stereotyped

By Writer_in_neverland BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Writer_in_neverland BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Forget all the reasons it won't work and believe the one reason it will.

Nowadays, when we meet or see a person we tend to automatically give them a "music stereotype". Almost every teenager is guilty, including myself. We have created these thoughts because of the singers/songwriters on how certain people listen to certain types of music.

Why do people that listen to rap have to be mostly "ghetto" and the people that listen to rock are "emo, people that condone self harm, and are usually white". Or people who listen to certain groups are "too girly". I in no way believe these stereotypes because I myself happen to break one.

But we are guilty of thinking them at first, mostly unconsciously. Because of the way things seem to be advertised around us we start to believe things like these stereotypes subconsciously. Why do we do this?

Are our brains just wired to do this? Was it in the way we were brought up? Why are music stereotypes even such a big deal you may ask. And the answer is simple. Many people are tired of being characterized.

Many people are sick of being labeled as certain things for the music they listen to. Emo, ghetto, girly, stuff like this is the kind of stuff they get labeled. Like they're a can of soup. It's like the saying don't judge a book by its cover.

Music plays a big role in many peoples lives now, and many people are being labeled and some even bullied for the type of music they listen to...does that even seem fair?

I am always being called emo because i listen to rock and heavy metal and I'm also told I'm not really black because i don't listen to rap.