Hidden Thoughts | Teen Ink

Hidden Thoughts

By maddie Chambers BRONZE, Paducah, Kentucky
maddie Chambers BRONZE, Paducah, Kentucky

Music conceals thoughts which cannot be expressed.

I grew up listening to music due to my older sister.  She would play a song and tell me to dance.  We would spend hours singing and taking videos of each other while our mom would constantly yell, “Turn the music down!”  Even today, when I hear an old song we used to have a dance for, I still do it in remembrance of that time we spent together.

Music has always been a big part of my life.  I started playing piano when I was just a little girl and still enjoy playing pop hits.  The first thing I do when I get in my car is plug in my phone and put it on shuffle.  As my favorites come on, I turn the knob to increase the volume.  Music takes a hold on our bodies whether we realize it or not.  As fast songs come on, speeding becomes a problem.  Slow songs can cause you to focus on other things and just roll along the highway.  The tempo of songs correlates with how our bodies move and what our thoughts consist of.

What is the first thing girls do after a date or after catching feelings for a new boy?  They turn on an upbeat song about how wonderful life is or how happy and “in love” they are.  What about when a boy does them wrong?  They do the same thing, only with a song about moving on.  Everyone knows this is true because we see it happen all the time on social media.  Twitter is full of people tweeting song lyrics to express a feeling, hoping the person they want will see it realizing that it is directed towards her.

I walk around all day at school and see people with headphones in not paying attention to anyone around them.  Music takes you to a different world; the quote, “Headphones in, world out” has a true meaning.  When listening, you enter a virtual world which only you understand.  It’s as if you can imagine being and doing something you have never had confidence to do before.  You never know what others might be going through, but you can know for a fact that what they are listening to will reflect it.

On music shows, such as “The Voice” or “American Idol,” contestants always have a sad story, which tells what made them turn to music.  Some have been people who have fought for our country say they sang to take some worries away for a while.  Others are singing to cover up for a pain they have felt during their lives. Whether it be to express a feeling or for pure enjoyment, music speaks to everyone in their own special way.  Music conceals thoughts which cannot be expressed.