"Music is..." | Teen Ink

"Music is..."

Music has been around since the dawn of civilization. From when cavemen first hit their clubs against the ground to today’s genres of pop, country, classical, and rock, music has helped to shape society. Defining music is a near impossible task.

Music is defined as “Vocal or instrumental (or both) sounds combined in such a way as to produce a beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion,” in accordance with the Oxford Dictionary. Music could also be defined as a collection of pitches, sounds, and rhythms combined in a series of notes. Both of these definitions are; however, inadequate in describing the true description of music.

Music is emotion. Music can be sad, happy, excited, scared, or even sleepy. Music can even convey these emotions to its listeners. Whenever I feel sad or angry, I listen to a song and almost immediately feel better. The same is true in reverse. Music has changed my approach to the day many times in the past.

Music is an escape. Music can take me to a different place. I feel overwhelmed most of the time during these weeks. Listening to music helps relieve my stress. When I feel that life throws too much at me, I retreat into my room, lock the door, and turn on Pandora Radio. I can spend hours just listening to music. When I emerge from my seclusion, I feel refreshed and ready to tackle the rest of the day.

Music is a passion. I first started performing music in third grade when I started playing my instrument, the trumpet. Over the past 11 years, I have also learned to play other instruments to express my love of music better. I feel strongly about my music. So much that I have performed outside of school, in church, at funerals, even once on television. Music is not just a hobby with me. It is one of my passions.

Music is a connection. The majority of people listen to music, whether it is country, pop, or some other genre. You can meet new people, or even old friends, at a concert or on some music-sharing website. I have made lasting friendships with people I have met in band.

Music is alive. Music has emotion; music has soul; music has purpose. It can grow. It can age. Music has many human characteristics. Music is a living creation.

The great philosopher Plato once said, “Music is a moral law. It gives souls to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety (joy) to life and to everything.” He is saying that music can inspire. It gives purpose. Music is fundamental to our existence.

Ray Charles said, “I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts. Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene. It was a necessity for me - like food or water.” Music can potentially be defined as life. Music is intertwined with every fiber of our being. From our first cries as we come into this world, to our last breath as we leave, music is present. It is watching us as we live. As we live, we each write our own song. The only question is…

...What will be your song?