Is Music Training the Key to Success? | Teen Ink

Is Music Training the Key to Success?

November 11, 2014
By hannahcavender128 SILVER, Independence, Missouri
hannahcavender128 SILVER, Independence, Missouri
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Love is a battlefield" "We all have bruises"


Many studies show that a background in music is linked to academic achievement. High achievers such as billionaire, Bruce Kovner, and the co-founder of Microsoft, Paul Allen, have had an education in music.

These high achievers claim that music opened pathways to creative thinking. Music trains you to think differently, process through different points of view, and even take pleasure in listening.

According to ABC news reporter, Lee Dye, researchers at Michigan State University found that children exposed to any kind of art are more likely to succeed. The study showed people with the most patents or most successful companies had eight times more exposure in arts than those who didn’t. Music was the most common form of art.

According to Laura Lewis Brown, of PBS Parents, learning music helps learning other subjects and enhances the ability to use multiple skill sets at one time.

Music education has also been shown to enhance the natural ability to decode sounds and words. It’s been shown that the training physically develops the part of the brain the involved in processing language.

Children given music lessons tested three IQ points higher than other groups and have larger growth of neural activity.

Music helps improve abilities to learn, but it doesn’t necessarily make them smarter. However, the benefits outweigh the negatives. Discipline, skill, being a part of music world, and being a part of something you can be proud of are some of the many benefits.

The bottom line is, cut-back on study of any sort of art deprives the nation of innovation. But, music especially because it improves more than just music, language development, IQ, and makes your brain work harder.

The best part of music education is the creative pathways and self-expression needed for invention and innovation.

Sources:
“The Benefits of Music Education”. PBS Parents. Laura Lewis Brown. N.p. Sept. 15, 2014.

“How Music Could Make You a Rocket Scientist”. ABC News. Lee Dye. Oct. 27, 2013. Sept. 15, 2014.

“Is Music the Key to Success”. NY Times. Joanne Lipmann. Oct. 12, 2013. Sept. 15,2014.


The author's comments:

Music doesn't have the potential to make you a billionaire, but the education in music opens up the potential to make you a billionaire