Top 15 Iron Maiden Songs | Teen Ink

Top 15 Iron Maiden Songs

By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida

Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater

Let's go a little more mainstream. Iron Maiden is a British power metal/progressive metal band that have been around since the very late 70's and released their first album Iron Maiden in 1980. Since then the have made great music and have been one of my favorites. This list is going to be a little crazy though. As far as I'm concerned the band has disbanded ever since the release of the album The Final Frontier in 2010. If you asked me the best member of the band I would say Steve Harris, the bassist and song writer. Without further ado, let's start are Top 10 Iron Maiden Songs.

15, Run To The Hills-The Number of the Beast, this is one the singles in the album. Being shown and played just about everywhere this is a true classic. Being the first album with Bruce Dickinson fronting the band, it is incredible what he can do. It's low on the list due to it being highly overrated in my eyes. Easily one of the fastest songs they have ever made.

14, Wasted Years-Somewhere In Time, this sounds familiar somehow. Eh, whatever, this has some amazing solo work for a change to a less than steller album. Being released in the same year as some classics as Master of Puppets by Metallica and Peace Sells...But Who's Buying by Megadeth and in the same year as some supposed terrible albums like Turbo by Judas Priest. It was recorded in the Bahamas at the time in the same studio as Judas Priest, coincidence? I think NOT! But interesting bit of trivia there, anyways, this was definetly the highlight of the album and is pretty early on in the album. Always a song I'll come back to.

13, Powerslave-Powerslave, "tell me why I have to be a Powerslave." Being more of a desert style song, Egyptian probably, this is defidently something to love. 7-minutes of pure metal, that sounds like a great idea! Much like the previous two entries this is also a single of a sort and has appeared in Best of the Beast and is also a radio song. This song has also appeared in many Rock Bands as a DLC.

12, The Nomad-Brave New World, the first song off of my favorite Iron Maiden album. Being the eighth track in the album, this is similar to the last entry being an Egyptian styled song. It lasts for about 9 minutes so you better have patients. The first album with Bruce's long return for solos and to take the hated Blaze Bayley out of the picture. It does go slow for a few minutes but then returns to the first beat. This is the progressive metal era of Iron Maiden and also when the band got a third giutarist adding to a total 6 band memebers. cool song and very worthy of being on the album.

11, Fear of the Dark-Fear of the Dark, the last track in the and the title track of the album. This is admitably one of the "meh" albums in their discography. But this is surely a song to remember. A live staple and a darn good one at that, 7 minutes of more Iron Maiden crazy.

10, Brave New World-Brave New World, the title track to the best Iron Maiden album yet. Once you get pat the slow and melodic intro, the rest of the song is set. It has a fast and really heavy solo that could give DragonForce and Judas Priest a run for their money. 6 minutes isn't alot but, it sure can be the most epic 6 minutes you will have in your life.

9, The Number Of The Beast-The Number of The Beast, "well to you o'er earth and sea, for the devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short. Let heth who hath understand the number of the beast, for it is a human number, it's number is 666." Need I say more for this one? Ok, good.

8, 2 Minutes To Midnight-Powerslave, the second track off of well, Powerslave, and a good one once again. Take in the lyrics and interpret them as best as you can. For me, I see a baby priest that has unusual powers and should be killed. A great song to listen to and is easily one of the easier ones to like.

7, Moonchild-Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, the first track in the 1988 album. The last 80's album the band has made. Unlike Somewhere In Time which fails in synths and background recordings this one is gonna mess about. Allow me to recite the intro lines for you all: Ahem "seven deadly sins, seven ways to win, seven holy paths to hell and your trip begins. Seven downward slopes, seven bloodied hopes, seven are your buring fires, seven your desires..." That is the definitive phrase for the entire album. It shows that the album is about a newborn who is the seventh son and has ungodly powers and could get out of control if not taken care of. That is the story of The Seventh Son.

6, The Trooper-Piece of Mind, easily the biggest Iron Maiden song existing. This is an easy number 2 or 1 for most but I'm not that predictable at all. The Trooper is another big staple to live shows. It has appeared in both Guitar Hero and Rock Band and is radio friendly. sure there is also Where Eagles Dare but I haven't listened to taht one quite yet. It is a tough song to master and has a fast and complex solo.

5, Sign of the Cross-X-Factor, the first track in the album and also the longest Iron Maiden song to exist. standing at a whopping 11 minutes you can guess that Blaze Bayley wants to start off with something special. Sadly, Blaze is the most underrated of the three frontiers. Easily my favorite of his material though. It has more progression and is one that needs more listens. Much like The Nomad, you must be patient if you want to finish this piece.

4, Dream of Mirrors-Brave New World, standing at 9 minutes this is the longest track in the album and also the most proggresive of the bunch. What is to say about this one. Much like Dream Theater's The Spirit Carries On a year prior, this begins by asking some questions that you may ask at one point in your life. It goes from slow and steady to fast and heavy. I love this song in case you can't tell. I wish they had more time to play this if they did.

3, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son-Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, wow! Just, Wow! This is the fifth track in the 1988 album of awesome and is the longest as well. Standing at an almost 10 minute mark, this has three parts from what I can tell. This is just perfect. No words can describe this one.

2, Hallowed Be Thy Name-The Number of the Beast, this is the only one with a cheesy, boring intro but once you get past that you have pure perfection and nothing more. This is another live staple for Iron Maiden and is the last track off of the highly aclaimed album. Pure perfection and nothing more.

1, Blood Brothers-Brave New World, this is everything I like about Iron Maiden rolled all into one. This seven minute package is built to pure perfection and preatty much nothing else. Being the fourth track in the album, this is to show what is to become of Iron Maiden and surely you're think that I should have chosen something else for number 1, but i digress. Blood Brothers, has a perfect core progression, perfect song writing, perfect everything. That's the word I would use to describe it, "perfect." There is even an orchestra solo, holy mother of God, that just made it even better. No song was, or still is even able to touch it. This has been the Grim Reaper and Blood Brothers is the perfect Iron Maiden song.

My next countdown: Top 15 albums of 2014, expect it in early December.

I wanted more of a succesor to Top 25 Dream Theater songs and wanted to go mainstream. Thus, we came to this spectacular countdown that is beautifully crafted and written for metal fans alike.