Why I Hated “The Fault in Our Stars” This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

We’ve all heard of John Green’s The Fault in Our Stars. But on the off chance you’ve been living under a rock, I will give you Goodreads’ description of the book: “Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.” Sounds sad, right? It is. Was it a bawl-my-eyes-out story? No. Not for me.

My friend who read The Fault in Our Stars for ninth-grade English recommended it to me, so I thought, Why not? I might as well see what all of the hubbub is about. So I did. And I have to admit the book was good. Not amazing, but good. I did not cry, however. Everyone I talked to was shocked. Everyone who read the book cried, and I hadn’t even been close to tears. But the book isn’t where my rant begins.

When the “Fault in Our Stars” movie was released, my friend Cassidy and I walked into the theater very excited. I thought I would cry and want to see it a dozen times, but I didn’t. Not even close. Cassidy and I were the only two people in the theater who weren’t sobbing loudly; we weren’t even tearing up. Yes, it was sad, but it definitely wasn’t the saddest movie I have ever seen.

As someone who knows what it’s like to live with someone who has cancer, I hated “The Fault in Our Stars,” because it glorified the illness. My dad had stage IV glioblastoma – the most malignant type of brain cancer. After his brain surgery, he couldn’t walk, use the bathroom without help, or dress himself. Pretty much everything had to be done by a nurse or my mom; I like to joke that if that isn’t true love, I don’t know what is. I know firsthand how sad terminal illness can be, especially since my dad’s cancer was in his brain. At least Hazel and Augustus could talk, walk, and think normally. After his brain surgery, my dad was never the same again. He yelled at us more often, and sometimes we weren’t even sure if he knew that he was going to die. If they based their knowledge of cancer on the movie alone, no one in that theater would have a clue how hard it really is to live with.

I didn’t cry during “The Fault in Our Stars” because what my dad and my family experienced was far worse than what Augustus and Hazel did. I hate saying that, but it’s true. I cried so much when my dad cursed me out or yelled at me. I wonder what the people in the movie theater would have thought if they’d watched my father deteriorate without even realizing what was happening to him. What if they had seen what he looked like right after he died – his lifeless body more peaceful than it had been in months? If only they knew what my father went through, then the story of Hazel Lancaster and Augustus Waters would have seemed like a cakewalk.

mubssunshine said...
please read my review and give me a feedback .thank you!

SilverInkThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 15, 2015 at 7:03 am
I can understand your point of view pretty well - all thanks to your strong piece of work.............you have had a first-hand experience of the horror we all know as 'cancer'......and you are right in saying that you hated 'TFIOS'.....I sould make my friend read this article....coz she's crazy about dis buk.........

annycs13 said...
I can understand the not crying during the film. My friend and I saw the movie, and though I enjoyed the movie, I didn't cry during the movie, nor did I find the book all that sad. I mean, yes, it's a very sad, but it's not the saddest movie in the world. I think that this article is well written and speaks the truth from a very good angle.

GeorgiaL said...
Thankyou for writing this. I think your words are very eye opening and very important for all readers of the book to consider.

GlaceKat said...
The author, Garber, in her article, "Why I Hated 'The Fault in Our Stars'" highlights the difference between fictional and real cancer through personal experience. I believe the author correctly states the problem in young adult fiction dealing with cancer. The book "The Fault in Our Stars" grossly glorifies living with any illness, especially cancer. As someone who has seen two family members develop and overcome what could have potentially become terminal cancer, I found "The Fault in Our S... (more »)

JRaye This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nice to meet you, I'm one of the loudly-sobbing teenage girls from your movie theater :) (metaphorically speaking). I don't entirely agree with your opinion of the book, with all due respect. I felt like it didn't really glorify CANCER, but glorified prevailing love, and living life to the fullest, no matter the circumstances. I do think the book was exceptional, told a story about cancer from a perspective you wouldn't think of - a teenager's. It's not the best/saddest book in the world, but it... (more »)