The Frontmen of AC/DC | Teen Ink

The Frontmen of AC/DC

By tothlogan BRONZE, Belleville, Michigan
tothlogan BRONZE, Belleville, Michigan

“Ac/Dc are the best at what they do. It’s as simple as that. I wouldn’t say that I like everything they’ve done, but in their own way they are as classic a band as Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple…” ~Toni Iommi There are two main singers that Ac/Dc has had and that is Bon Scott and Brain Johnson, both are fantastic singers but both have very different ways of singing. Bon Scott was the second singer they had but first person to be on studio albums, so you could say that he is their first singer. In an issue of Classic Rock he was number one on the list of best front men ahead of Freddie Mercury of Queen and Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin. You could see this as a trait for inspirational. He has inspired bands like Airborne, Accept, Danko Jones, Buckherry, The Cult, and Jet. These bands can even be seen as rip-offs because they have the same kind of style but I personally love all of those bands.

Bon Scott was also very creative because he helped write all of their songs with Angus and Malcolm Young, some of the songs that are big by him Big Balls, Dirty Deeds, Dog Eat Dog Etc. Brain Johnson also was very creative because he also helped write songs like Back in Black, For Those About to Rock, Hells Bells Etc.

Brain Johnson has to very committed to Ac/Dc because they are currently working on a new album and he has been with the band since 81’. And the last album they came out with was Black Ice recorded in 2009 and before that 2000. And he has been with them the whole time if you do not see that as commitment I do not know what to tell you.

Probably one of the biggest things that you need to be a front man is confidence and both of these guy have it, we can see this from Scott because where he is placed on the front men list, and how both of them were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

They also have a sense of humor and you can hear this in the lyrics of their songs. For example the song Big Balls “And my balls are always bouncing My ballroom always full And everybody cums and cums again If your name is on the guest list No one can take you higher Everybody says I've got great balls of fire!” Though this song is not the most clean song it is about ballroom balls but also is about balls, whenever I hear this song it makes me laugh.

Both of these men also had to very good at collaboration because how long they were in the band and kept going with Angus and Malcolm which are the only two original members of the band.
Johnson had to have a lot of optimism because he came in after Scott died from alcohol poisoning. You could also think about this as a positive attitude because the whole band said we cannot let this stop us we need to keep making music.

You could then look at that and see the transformation that they took. This is also a leadership trait because it is important because we need the ability to be able to change and make it for the best. The first album that they made with Johnson was Back In Black and they dedicated it to Scott and it is also considered one of their best albums. 

I like to think that both of them have a lot of integrity even though Scott died from alcohol but both are in the Rock Hall and both have stayed true to their sound and never sold out like a majority of bands do today. Some bands that sold out that are big are Metallica I still love them the same but that first time they made that rock ballad was very different but they owned that sound also.

For my last skill on these guys I am going to do results ordinated which both of them have. Scott has High Voltage, Highway to Hell, and Let There be Rock. Johnson has Back In Black and For Those About to Rock.