The War on Music Genres | Teen Ink

The War on Music Genres

By sumangelmab13 BRONZE, Lexington, Kentucky
sumangelmab13 BRONZE, Lexington, Kentucky

"Even though I'm on my own, I know I'm not alone 'cause I know there's someone, somewhere, praying that i'll make it home."

Any loving fan of music, whether you're obsessed with heavy rock riffs or really into bubblegum pop, has been caught in one of the most frustrating debates that will ever take place: what is the band's genre?

There's no denying it; some of us don't even know what a band's musical genre could be just because the edges of disconnection between one extreme to the next are so jagged. Some bands cross over, mix, experiment, or all of the above. But if someone is bashing your favorite band for being a certain genre, you will probably bash heads with them, virtually or physically. It's almost impossible, though, to really ever figure out where each genre will draw its line into a different genre because they become broken constantly. It's kind of like playing with a regular deck of playing cards; several games to play, but each person can set their own house rules, making it unique.

My personal experience in the battle of genres has always been the worst in one of my favorite genres (sadly): metal. Over the years, metal has branched to genres and sub-genres (and even sub-sub genres; ever heard of soft djent vs. hard djent?), and everyone will always constantly fight over not only what genre a band is, but also which genre and sub-genre is better than all the others.

"Hardcore black metal is what soothes my soul, and by soothe, I mean rip it apart."

"Naw, man, that -vulgar word- sucks! You've gotta go with some smooth heavy djent to blow your face off!"

"Shut up, guys, the only REAL metal is heavy power metal to run in pitch black caves to."

It seriously gets that bad.

All joking aside, everyone will always CONSTANTLY fight over genre placement of a band and which genre is the superior genre to all peasant genres (which metal believes it is the superior to all pop artists and anything with a banjo *sigh*). There is not guarantee that the war will ever end until all songs are exactly the same, and even then, we'd probably still fight.

But hey, it makes for good Youtube comment wars, so I'm down.

After countless debates that I continue to have in my everyday life over genres of some of my favorite bands, I realized the war on who is what in the music world is a real pickle to hardcore music fans such as myself. This is my own personal input into this whole dilemma.