The Iconic Music | Teen Ink

The Iconic Music

By Apollo43 BRONZE, Bellingham, Minnesota
Apollo43 BRONZE, Bellingham, Minnesota

If you ask someone, “What is the first thing you think of relating to the movie ‘Jaws’?” odds are that they will say the classical music that bounces back and forth from an ‘E’ note to an ‘F’ note. Everyone knows the dangerous and suspense filling tune. Music is used in other ways in the move ‘Jaws’ as well. Throughout the movie Spielberg uses different types of music to show adventure, danger, or build suspense.

One of the best examples of Spielberg using music to show adventure comes late in the movie. The three men, after encountering the shark for the first time, we hear music that is more upbeat and cheerful. This tells us that Brody, Hooper, and Quint are on the attack. This music lets us know that they are on the move and are, at that point in time, superior to the shark.

The most famous music in ‘Jaws’ is used to signal danger. Everyone knows that danger is afoot when they hear the classic, “Duh nuh…. Duh nuh…. Duh nah dun nah.” This music is played any time we see the shark or the shark is about to attack. This lets us know that danger is coming in the form of the aquatic grim reaper.

`Lastly, Spielberg uses music to keep us in suspense. This is different from the other two. In this case, Spielberg uses the lack of music to draw us to the edge of our seats. When we hear nothing we begin to wonder why the music disappeared and what will happen next. We think that something is going to happen but we aren’t sure. It keeps us interested and keeps us wondering.

Without music, ‘Jaws’ wouldn’t be the same. At some points it can be somewhat confusing and the music allows us to know what is happening. Everyone knows the music of ‘Jaws’ and the music alone makes this a prestigious movie and one to aspire to.

i wrote this after watching Jaws in class as an analysis paper.