Why High School Musical Is Wrong In Every Single Way Imaginable | Teen Ink

Why High School Musical Is Wrong In Every Single Way Imaginable

May 10, 2014
By sophieb123 BRONZE, West Windsor, New Jersey
sophieb123 BRONZE, West Windsor, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
A thousand moments that I had taken for granted- mostly because I had assumed there would be a thousand more.


Greetings and salutations to all,

Recently whilst cleaning out a box in my closet, I came across my copies of the High School Musical movies. And because pretty much any other activity is better than cleaning out one’s closet, I proceeded to sit down for a few leisurely hours and watch the entire trilogy in one fell swoop.

And I don’t think I’ve been more pissed off in my life.

Let me explain.

Right off the bat, I dont think I’ve ever seen one high school girl who would prefer to read a book rather than go to a New Year’s Eve party. Teenage girls are not a sophisticated breed, I must admit. I’d like to tell you that I spend my Friday evenings with a cup of earl grey tea and Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman, but that is not the case. Like all other seventeen year old females, I prefer to spend my time with my friends, getting ice cream and just wreaking havoc on the general public. And you know what? That’s fine and dandy, that’s what teenagers should be doing, I just don’t appreciate the executives of Disney Channel trying to make me feel bad about my life decisions.

My second of many grievances: The teachers are literally so relaxed about school work.

Like at one point, Troy and Gabriella are just prancing around some garden on the roof of their school, (one more super unrealistic thing about these movies), but these two kids are sophomores. It’s not like they’re second semester seniors. Don’t they have classes to go to? My guess is that since these are possibly the two most attractive humans on THE FREAKING PLANET, (see attachment), they probably just told the teacher, “Listen. We’re pretty. We both know that we don’t need to graduate high school. We’ll just go to L.A. and get discovered in like, twelve seconds. Later, loser.”

And then rays of light came down from the clouds and Troy and Gabriella rode away on twin unicorns.

To conclude, there is really only one aspect of these movies that I find actually realistic to the true high school experience.

The drama teacher is always a nut job, who wears big glasses and brightly colored shawls.

Great job Disney, you got one thing right.

Signing off,

-S