Should Kids Be on Reality T.V. | Teen Ink

Should Kids Be on Reality T.V.

January 13, 2014
By Rippey_Avenger SILVER, Jefferson, Iowa
Rippey_Avenger SILVER, Jefferson, Iowa
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I fell in love the way you fall asleep, slowly then all at once."-- John Green The Fault in Our Stars


It would be awesome to go on “The Voice” and work with great musicians, then you make it to the end, and you lose, but wait you are getting swarmed with record labels, you didn’t win, but you still made it to the end. When kids get on a show like “American Idol” they have a high chance of getting booted from the show, and sometimes they aren’t mentally ready for something like that to happen to them. There are more kids that are ready for this kind of thing though. We can not base all of our standards on the weak links, because then we look weak as a whole. It is okay for minors to be on these shows, they could make a lot of money, they could become famous, they could gain a background, and they could learn a lot of stuff.

Now there are some major problems with having kids on television. When you get to see all about these people ranging in age from 1-17 it means you know almost everything about them. Some of these kids are nowhere close to being ready to deal with that type of stuff. Later in life they can develop many mental problems because of what they have gone through. On the big talent shows there are people that are really young going up on stage, and they have big break downs when they lose. Those kids are not ready for failure. At a young age having your dreams crushed and ripped away from you can ruin the rest of your life, a CNN journalist said that some of these shows only show kids at their worst. Now is it showing a kid at their worst when they are sing on stage. Look a the number of people who are famous now, that started out as kids on T.V. shows.

In shows like “Honey Boo Boo” the kid is making a lot of money. Now why would we want to take away a kid’s free ride to college. If all you have to do to make money and be successful and be yourself, then why should anybody have the right to take that away from you. If you were being paid thousands and thousands, and in some cases millions of dollars a year as a kid, would you want somebody to take that away from you? How would you feel if somebody ripped away your chance at money.

Now on the talent shows people get to show their talents and are given a possibility to become very very famous. Now I know not everybody is ready to have all that pushed on them, but if we give children mental evaluations, then we can make sure that we protect the future. Now think one day you, still only 13 years old, discover you are a marvelous singer. You decide to get on to one of those singing shows you see on television, and it turns out you are even better than you thought. You get onto the show, and it looks like you are going to win, but wait, due to other kids your age not being ready for failure, you can no longer be able to do that. You got your dreams ripped away now too. If we restrict the ages for these shows, then young kids won’t be able to turn out like One Direction or Scotty McCreery. If we did that we would crush hundreds of dreams all at once.

In the first paragraph it is mentioned that you can still get record labels even if you lose. Rachel Crow lost “The X-Factor” and ended up releasing an album, being on Nickelodeon, and is a character in “Rio 2”. Getting on these shows for talents, is like showcasing yourself. Millions of people will see you, and realize how great you are. If you look at the songs sang by many people who have failed off talent style reality shows, and how many of those songs sold on Itunes, or how many views they get on YouTube, it may surprise you. Many people who get kicked off these shows get onto a record label, or they simply make an appearance. They go out there, and then someday a future boss, could see the determination they had as a kid on that show, and maybe that is what they boss is looking for. Just being on shows like “The Voice” people learn a lot of things. I have seen young kids on that show, that learned from great musicians. These kids go on the show, and they get a mentor that tells them how to be a better performer. Those are more things that can show your future bosses stuff about you. They can look at people that you have worked with.

Even if there are some problems with kids being on reality T.V. we should not get rid of it, we should fix it. Yes, some kids end up with mental problems, but if we work at removing those problems it will be a good thing for everybody involved. We don’t want to ruin the chances these kids have at life because of some of them have problems. Think about the future opportunities, the money for their life, the fame they gain, and all the stuff they learn, we don’t want to take that away from them.


The author's comments:
This is something that I wrote for my modern issues class, that I thought people may like to see.