Heavy Metal Music | Teen Ink

Heavy Metal Music

By NizZzy1 PLATINUM, Arrowsmith, Illinois
NizZzy1 PLATINUM, Arrowsmith, Illinois

Like Moves On
Things Happen
I am my shadow self

“We are the children of the night and the sound of ten thousand nations coming together as one”. The immortal words of Disturbed that describe how much the world enjoys the sounds and sights of metal. The world has been through many different types of sounds the voice of Bob Marley shook the world in the 1980’s and still does today 30 years after his passing the world still remembers the image of Bob Marley. The same goes for metal music people still talk about how Black Sabbath took the U.K by storm and to this day bands are inspired by how popular they have become together and apart. People still don’t see how much metal music has shaped the world first metal was born because of the “Forefathers of Metal” Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Aerosmith. And to this day those old classic bands are still thought of the people if they didn’t start with their type of music, there wouldn’t be what type of music we have today if not for those few bands in the 1960’s.

In the beginning of the music era of the 1960’s people were still into the pop sounds and sway music of theses one hit wonders, then you have the country stars that never went old till they grew old of age and died of were simply shot. But the real change didn’t start in the United States oh no this whole transfer of music started in the U.K bands such as Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and Stepphen Wolf were taking Europe by storm with all the hits that they were bringing in but since Europe was still getting used for being known for having The Beatles and Cream was all that they had to their name at the time but then came along the sound of Black Sabbath with Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi were the only compition to hit the streets since Led Zeppelin and the magical fingers of Robert Plant and Jimmy Page but Sabbath had something deeper and darker than Zeppelin they had Ozzy. This was the birth of the “Heavy Metal” genre. Most people real heavy metal being heavy because of the way the parents didn’t approve of the sounds and lyrics their kids were hearing but heavy metal was the birth of the standing nation of the U.K it was the birth of anarchy and the start of a trend that lasts 40 years and still is going strong with new blood running through its veins.

Heavy metal was born in the 1960s and also died in the 1970’s because of all the new genres that were popping up left and right, but since its one genre it can also be spread out into all sorts of different sub genres and this boomed in the 1970’s and 80’s because of all the rising new talent and bands that were trying out new sounds and styles.

The first sub-genre to actually come out was Groove metal as it started as swing music and is one of the less popular metal subs in the business. It’s practically the step-son to grunge metal and the lasted son of Nu Metal because of its sound and very creative lyric style and because of that many of the other metal subs were brought into the light and showed upon.

After groove cam the next big hit Symphonic because you added symphony to the actual sounds and sights of the metal genre nobody really pays to much attention to the genre because of its less popular fan base that is why it lasted a good 6 months in the ratings at the end of the 1970’s and now you can see why the only band to have this genre down pegged and made famous for those 6 months was Nightwish and its not American its British because of this the U.K has had a big down fall in the ratings since then.

In the 1980’s many bands were still trying to make a popular metal genre that would attract the general public and so Thrash was born. Thrash metal is the sister to doom metal and the daughter to heavy metal. Thrash consists of speed chords and double bass drum beats and the lyrics really don’t peg down a certain subject of hostility. The main supports of this genre are Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax. Since becoming the main bands for the genre in the 1980’s only two of the ands have had really made it big Metallica and Megadeth because Metallica made it big because of their lyrics and style and Megadeth made it big because of the fan base. Anthrax and Slayer have had maybe less than 10 hits each because they really didn’t appeal to the main stream cloud like Metallica and Meagdeth did with their albums and fan bases. Now since they are the “Fathers of Thrash” they have concerts every once in 10 years a tour called the “The Big 4 Tour” celebrating the fathers and their music. They are the reason for many of the bands today.

After Thrash hit the streets of Cal next to come along was Glam Metal. Glam metal was the gay relative of the metal family it defined the 80’s “hair metal’ Scene. Mixing the pop culture and metal music scene within each other was probably not the best idea that most of the 1980’s bands had in mind when this brand came out and about. Most bands like Poison, Motley Crue, and Ratt were the mainstream through the early stages of this progressing dying genre. Most bands had multiple one hit wonders in this genre some even had albums that lasted a good amount of years but in this time and age it was all about the anthems and ballads that made the eighties what they were. Only a few lasted to the core of metal W.A.S.P and Lita Ford were the only bands and artist that stayed to the metal roots and stayed true to the metal family.

After looking in the past the future awaits. Nu Metal is the future of the metal scene, it’s basically made up of all the new blood that runs through the metal family the offspring’s of the forefathers. This particular genre of music was started in the 1990’s when rap and hip-hop were making come backs and metal artist started to find out that this brand of music sold quick and easy it didn’t matter what side of the street you worked on you still had all the revenue coming in all over America and Britain. It didn’t quite take off like it was supposed to but it lasted mostly through the early 90’s and into the mid 2000’s but died along folk metal. The mainstream hits this brand are Korn and Limp Bizkut that in the early stages of the music had this by the hair and demanded everything they could have in return. Then later in the early 2000’s bands like Slipknot, Disturbed, Mudvayne were coming into affect and made the genre a global successes even now they still claimed to be the nu breed of metal.

Industrial Metal is basically the techno and electronic sounding twins to the metal family tree. It’s not as fan based as the rest but it does have its followers in its wake and time. It’s more of a “Cyber Metal” type of thing because of its keyboards and DJ’s rather than the original double bass drum kicks and raging guitars. The only bands this genre has to its name are really no-names than anything else like Fear Factory and Ministry.

Gothic Metal is basically sounds like it said it’s all about death and dying even with the cool guitar designs and riffs. But all fan craze aside it has been the well known sister to emo metal and the father of nu metal because of its huge influence on the mainstream rock personality. But to some it’s the sister to Thrash and the mother of Black metal and Doom metal. It really take a whole new meaning to the words “tear this place down” whenever this type of music is played don’t stick around too long otherwise you will be tied up and bound to a poll that is how crazy this type of music makes people. The mainstream hits this genre has to its name Launcia Coil because of the low band ratings in this brand of music.

Black metal the daughter of Gothic metal and the little sister to doom metal. This brand of music so known for the satanic violence that goes on inside theses albums and riots seem to just happen when this music is played in front of large crowds this type of music so really availed in the U.K because of its low want is America and has little to no fan based here.

Power metal is most melodic of the family beside Symphonic metal. Most bands like Lost Horizon and Blood Guardian are well known for their music hits with the symphonies and artistic style of music that has been rejected in all countries but America we don’t really know why it just is. Even though the Brits have tried to add their little touches to the music and wiped out horribly but give em credit for trying to help a lost cause.

Emo Metal is the basically the twin to Gothic metal because it involves the same type of lyric style and the same public crowd as metal has to offer in the state that is in. A lot of American bands make it big in this genre because of the fan base it receives when they here the brand new music that they put out bands like Evevecnse, Flyleaf and Paramore all girl bands and even Kittie that is a all girl group that sounds like a guy group have a huge margin for success in this brand of music it doesn’t matter how you slice it if you’re in this music genre and you come to America you will basically become a natural hit in our eyes.

Death Metal is known as the cousin of thrash because of its natural style of off the wall beats and ripping guitar riffs that sound like they will tear you apart and rip you too shreds with the heavy bass and loud crowds how can anyone say no to it. As I Lay Dying is the only band to hit mainstream for this genre and it’s really been given a bad rep to this point in time for all the suicides and homicides that have happened because of this genre in the music.

After becoming one of the most popular music genres in the past 40 years of the music timeline. Metal music has become one of the top music genres in the business aside from pop and rap nowadays that has become the music sensation of the early two thousands and is still running along with country and soul and even reggae if it lasts any longer than it already has over the years. There are many influences that this type of music has inspired. Punk started the crazy for leather jackets bobby pins and spiked hair in the 1980’s and hip hop in the late 80’s started the afros and the slim looking pants with multiple colors and in this short time frame of only ten years the world hanging multiple times in the world of music. After the crazy in Cal of glam metal that had everyone in the Hollywood area wearing spandex and crazy hair styles the world of music changed later that decade of Seattle when the Grunge scene took effect. It was not about the publicity that they wanted to achieve it was the social anarchy that struck the heart of America right in the chest.

You could definite say that the hearts of Americans are easily won over by music and the styles and tends that follow afterward but the one thing you can never expect is how long this will last. Most trends last a couple months sometimes if lucky a year, but these trends stood a much longer p[period than that they stood for a good 5-10 years at most but the fans now realize that now looking back on it how stupid and pathetic they made themselves look in the mirror when they got done with all this.

I have alwasy been a lover of metal music and in this report I want to show you the history andbeneifits of listening to this brand of music. In a world dominated by Country, Pop, and Rap this genre tends to be forgotton about I am here to enlighten my opinion of what heavy metal music is. Now I know their are many different views on waht is metal and what isn't here is my version. I hope you see it and try to compare it with your own version.