Why Has Harry Potter Had A Huge Impact On Society?

“The stories we love best do live in us forever so whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.” The magical world of Harry Potter is for anyone. It’s for anyone who’s ever had a bad day and just wishes to escape. It’s for every lover of fantasy and magic. It’s for someone who just wants to curl up, with a cup of hot chocolate and forget the rest of world. It’s a place to escape to, full of magic and wonder beyond anyone’s imagination. It’s for the person who feels alone to finally feel at home and at peace. Anyone who’s ever wanted to be wash away, soaked up into a world of love, friendship, courage, to face the hard times and battle evil, Hogwarts and its world is for you.

Over the years Harry Potter has had a huge impact on today’s generation. Those who’ve grown up reading and watching these books and films will carry the memories forever. It got a whole generation reading, believing in something bigger, something amazing, something magical. These books are extremely well written down to the last detail. The amount of description allowed the reader to imagine and see the world that J. K. Rowling had given them. Readers are able to picture the common rooms, the classrooms, the grounds and even the secret passageways. These snippets of imagination were brought to the big screen and readers could see the magic unfold right before their very eyes. So yes, these books did get a whole generation reading, and those who stuck with Harry “until the very end,” surely will keep reading and watching the films.

J. K. Rowling also made her characters relatable and realistic. Readers and viewers of the series were able to see characters develop. J. K. Rowling created a world where glasses were cool, and being smart made you stronger. She showed us that it didn’t matter if you wore glasses or if you had bushy hair, or if you had slightly longer teeth and a less money than others. She showed us that you should be accepted for who you are, she took the people that are perhaps ignored at school and made them the heroes. That’s what makes the characters so loveable. Making her characters this way, also allowed the characters to be ‘fleshed’ out. They had their abilities, the ability to learn, to fly, to make others laugh, to cast spells, to fight but also she showed their flaws. This made them very human. Flaws that were relatable, Hermione who’s incredibly book smart but can hardly tell Ron she’s in love with him, Harry who’s the “boy who lived”, “the chosen one”, can hardly talk to the girl he likes. Or Ron, the one who’s the “king”, who gets by on confidence and jokes, who’s loyal and carefree yet he’s stubborn and irrational.

As well as her characters being so believable, J. K. Rowling also made the “magic” within her novels so believable. As Melissa Burkley, Ph.D. in The Social Thinker says on Psychology Today, the magic “remains within the pages of those stories”, but then why has “magic” become such an important part of the generation’s lives. Do people believe in magic? Perhaps this belief being one of the things that makes Harry Potter such a big impact. Or is it perhaps that people want to believe in this mystical magical world, to make the “modern” society seem less harsh. “Magic” gives the readers a world where anything is possible with no limitations like in the modern world. It gives them a sense of freedom, unlike the modern world or the “muggle” world where things are less creative, more scientifically and evidence based. Melissa also believes that magic “may have a bigger role in your life than you might think”, though you may not want to admit it. You may be 5 or 40, but somewhere in you, you believe in magic whether it be in the cinema or when your “nose is tucked into the pages of a Harry Potter book.” (Reference from: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-social-thinker/201107/the-harry-potter-effect-the-science-behind-why-we-magical-things- accessed on 12th July 20012).

It’s ironic when Professor McGonagall says the Dumbledore (in the 2001 film adaption) that “There won't be a child in our world who doesn't know his name.” As Julia Walters stated in an interview that it is true; there isn’t a child that won’t know Harry Potter. Every child who’s ever heard or even see a something related to Harry Potter, will know who he is. Following this and using a quote found “Harry Potter has reached out to an estimate of 200 countries, spoke out in over 69 languages and has touched the lives of more than 400 million people. It is the phenomenon that ignores race, age, gender or religion and it has brought us together despite all our differences. We are the Harry Potter Generation.” Is there really anymore to be said? Harry Potter is a huge impact on society as it’s the one thing that brought today’s generation together.

Harry Potter can mean many things to many people. For me, these books were a beacon of light and hope; it was the light at the end of the tunnel. The books and characters made every step of the way easier, and so, that boy with the messy black hair, green eyes and lightning bolt, became my best friend. And for that, I’ll be ever thankful to J. K. Rowling. So I ask you, what does Harry Potter mean to you?

References:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ashleybaccam/the-best-harry-potter-tributes-on-tumblr for Harry Potter quote.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-social-thinker/201107/the-harry-potter-effect-the-science-behind-why-we-magical-things- Melissa Burkley, Ph.D. in The Social Thinker says on Psychology Today.

PixarLife said...
May 8 at 5:25 pm:
I was reading this...and I was like OMG, I am relating to EVERY WORD THIS SAYS.  Finally, someone who gets my brain.  No one at school reads Harry Potter.

sweetpea114305This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 25 at 10:44 am:
Do you mind if I quote you in an essay I am writing for my AP Literature class? It is about the social effects of Harry Potter and why we love the series so much. I would really appreciate it!

SpeakOutStandOutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 25 at 6:44 pm :
Wow, yes, sure, that's fine! (just, yeah, quote me :3) I'd like to read the essay, it sounds interesting! I hope it goes well, good luck! :)