How Music Relates To Me | Teen Ink

How Music Relates To Me

By TraceBatWingsAndBrokenStrings DIAMOND, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
TraceBatWingsAndBrokenStrings DIAMOND, Oshkosh, Wisconsin

"This gun has stopped time in its tracks, has altered the course of our fate. Destiny is shattered and timeless. Closed eyes feel the cold winds embrace."
-Avenged Sevenfold

Over the years, music has developed so much that many people call it a form of art. I generally agree with this consensus. Music is such an impactful thing that it can actually touch some people right at the core and give them a whirlwind of emotions. While some music may not appeal to some people, most music is driven by the sheer feelings of the person who is singing the song, so in that respect, most music is special no matter who likes it. In my personal opinion, music is a tried and true form of art, a way to blow off steam in some cases, and even a way to relate your emotions to the singers. So sit back, relax, and enjoy the wonderful world of music.

Music is a medium like no other. Whether it be the gentle strum of a guitar that will soothe you to sleep, or the pounding of a double bass drum that will prepare you for the big game, music is almost perfect for anything. One band that can describe this would have to be Avenged Sevenfold. This is a heavy metal/rock band that has some of the most intense music around. Their token song, Nightmare, is bar none one of the greatest heavy metal songs I have ever heard. But that is not the only side of Avenged Sevenfold. Hidden under the rough, tough exterior, there is actually one of the prettiest bands in today’s musical age. I know it may seem a bit confusing at first, as I just stated that they are an amazing rock band. But yes, being a band that promotes itself through singing about evil, they have some beautiful work. The true standout of these songs is So Far Away. This song was written after the bands drummer, Jimmy Sullivan, overdosed and passed away. The song describes how the singer, M. Shadows, has not had enough time with Jimmy, and how there is so much he wants to say to him, but since he is gone, he has to live knowing that he will never be able to tell him. The emotion in this song is just astonishing, and while I personally cannot relate to this song myself, this song really did teach me something as a singer myself. It taught me that no matter what you make yourself out to be, you can be as sensitive and as emotional as anyone else. The music that they write is no different than a painter making a masterpiece. They both convey the emotion of the artist and they both help the artist get a feel for why they did what they did in the first place. In some cases, these songs can even be a modem to relive stress in some situations.

One of the coolest things about actually performing music is that it can really help you blow off some steam if you get into it enough. This is mainly the core of why music is such a powerful thing. Take a band like Sublime. The reason they are so popular is because no matter what the song, the lead singer Bradley Nowell (at the time) would always seem like he was actually part of what he was singing about. Whether it be Caress me Down or 40 Oz. to Freedom, he would always give his entire soul to whatever he was singing. That was what made him a singer for the ages. And that is how my style as a singer is. Whatever I sing, I always like to get into the performance, and try and make the audience feel as though they are part of the story I am telling. These will not only help the audience relate to the piece, but it will also stir emotion within the audience, and create a memorable performance. A band that does this consistently is Muse. I have not been to a Muse concert in person, but I have seen their live performances from the internet, and they are just so into what they do. A shining example of this would be when they sing a song known as Resistance. The song itself is about how there are two people left that know something the government doesn’t want them to, and how they have to live the rest of their life in hiding, or take arms against the political forces.
But when he sings, there is so much that Matthew Bellamy (the singer) does onstage that it makes you feel as though you are part of this tale he has weaved together.

This is only one of the songs that Muse does. If I were to list them all, I would fill up another two pages. However, I feel that in today’s music age, most people don’t know that same feeling. Today’s music genre is polluted with meaningless, talentless singers like Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, and Katy Perry. Hopefully in the future and in the new age of music, singers will actually begin to SING again. Another thing that singers would do is write music that people could identify with, which might the most important thing a musician can do.

Music is most likely the best way to communicate with something outside of, well, actual human interaction. There is something almost mystifying about how impactful music can actually be. Some bands are based off the entire concept of being relatable. Three Days Grace is an example of one of these bands. They have somewhat shocking music that deals with incredibly heavy topics, like suicide, cutting yourself, and getting away from everything. I personally cannot relate to this music, but it does affect me personally in a different way. Some people I know have had suicidal thoughts, or cut themselves because they feel inadequate. I was fairy close to one of these people, so it was a shock when I found out. Whenever we discussed music, Three Days grace consistently popped up. The person said that they liked them because they could relate with the words of song. The one song the person would always mention is Pain, a slow, depressing song that talks about how the only way the singer can stop the inner pain he feels is by hurting himself. The person actually said to me, word for word, “If it wasn’t for this band, I might not be alive today.” Those words are etched into my mind. This is why music is so powerful. This is why music is a form of art. This is why music is my favorite form of media of all time.

So in short, music is one of the most impactful forms of media. I have searched through boatloads of songs, and have not been able to find a song that does not have emotion in it with a couple obvious exceptions. I used to think music was nothing more than a shoddy way to write whatever you want, but not anymore. It truly is the best form of media and my favorite thing of all time. I even write some music of my own, and while it may not be up to par with today’s standards, the music I write and the music other artists write will always have a special place in my heart.

The reason I wrote this was to shw some of my favorite bands and to show how I am as a singer

i really like your article here. when you play music your goal is to make the audience feel what you went through when you wrote it job well done