Reality TV, really?

Lately ive been seeing so much activity with these 'reality tv' shows, but whats so special about them?

First off, and I hope the people who watch these shows know, is that these shows, in no way, are shows that relay REALITY. In fact, they are some of the fakest televised programs out there.

Apparently these shows like Jersey Shore, The Real World, and Teen Mom, appeal to a group of teenage girls..this makes me think that teen girls are the most gullible beings on earth, which is probably true.

Another thing, what is the point of these shows anyway? "HEY, LETS MAKE A 'REALITY' TV SHOW CALLED TEEN MOM! WHERE THE YOUTH OF AMERICA CAN WATCH YOUNG GIRLS LIVES FALL APART AS THEY STRUGGLE DAY BY DAY! YEA, THAT WILL BE A HIT!"
"LETS MAKE A SHOW CALLED JERSEY SHORE, WHERE AMERICA CAN WATCH PEOPLE RUIN THEIR FRIENDSHIPS, CHEAT ON THEIR LOVERS, AND GET SMASHED 24/7!"

The reality is, thats basically what the bland plot of these shows are, people getting into stupid situations, and TV programs sticking a camera in their face, and sell it to YOU the viewer.

Ive asked alot of people i know, mostly teen girls, why they watch these shows. The typical answer I would get is "Uhh, I dont know" or "Because!". But, because why? Is there really a logical reason, a good reason why? NO.

So please, give me a GOOD reason why these shows are popular, why do you watch them? They are not 'reality', the real functions of life are far from what these shows predict them to be.

TwoFace17 said...
Most reality series are scripted. I only like the reality series that are not scripted for sure which is Pawn Stars, True Life, and anything on Animal Planet.

Harrypotter202abc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

All these shows are scripted anyway!

None of it is real!

Osvaldo_CThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Television was made for many reasons. One of those reasons was to entertain people. Reality Tv is doing that.

Chocolatebubbles said...
Dec. 10, 2010 at 7:07 am
I agree totally !