Romeo and Juliet | Teen Ink

Romeo and Juliet

November 3, 2010
By Anonymous

The movies are different from on another because they were filmed in different time periods. On way the movies differ from one another is because the older version is set in a medieval time and the newer version is set in a modern time. For example, the town of Verona has cobblestone streets, stone buildings, and old world charm. The new town of Verna has skyscrapers, gas stations, streetlights, and graffiti, cement sidewalks, and blacktop roads. Therefore in the new version it is more understandable and easier to relate to. Secondly, the weaponry has changed dramatically. In the older version, they use swords and daggers while in the newer version they use guns and glass shards. For instance, Romeo and Tybalt fight with swords and daggers in the older version but in the newer version they use nine millimeter revolvers and pistols. Consequently in the new version there is a lot more violent. Lastly, the transportation has changed immensely. In the older version they had cop cars and helicopters. For example, in the old version the mail was delivered by a man on foot, but in the newer version the mail was delivered by a postal worker in a jeep. Therefore in the new version technology has been changed tremendously.
Another way the movies differ from one another is their characterizations. For example, in the new version Romeo has longer hair and he dresses more casual than in the older version. For instance, Romeo has shaggy hair in the new version while in the older version he had short hair. He also looks skinner in the newer version compared to the older version. Thus, between the two versions Romeo has changed staggeringly. Secondly, Juliet has shorter hair, dresses more casual, older, and wears angel wings. Consequently, the make-up artists of Juliet have changed between the two versions. Lastly, in the new version, Mercutio has changed tremendously. In the old version he was Caucasian and didn’t have any facial hair while in the newer version he has an African decent and has facial hair. For example, in the new version, Mercutio is boisterous and very crazy due to the old version he is quiet. Therefore Mercutio has changed immensely between the new and old versions.