The Movie Vacuum

By sonnysulouff GOLD, Clarendon Hills, Illinois
sonnysulouff GOLD, Clarendon Hills, Illinois

"Life isn't fair, it's just fairer than death is all." -The Princess Bride
"You smell like beef and cheese, not like Santa." -Elf
"Andy: You're like an angel with no wings!
April: So like a person." -Parks and Recreation

A movie is a vacuum of lies. It sucks you in and you're hooked until you are actually hoping that you're life turns into a movie. Even a film with a bad ending. Because even if the movie ends poorly, at least you mattered for the whole two hours of the rest of the movie, right?
The way movies portray life makes me sick. To some, watching a movie can be an escape away from a rainy day or a problematic situation, but to me, a movie is a LIE. Nothing is spoon-fed to you the way it is to the heroine of a motion picture. Life isn't easy. Love isn't easy. You can work and work and work your a** off and STILL end up with nothing.
I should know. I was sucked in too. I had dreams about falling in love and having it save me. I imagined myself saving people from a burning building and being praised for it. But that's bullcrap. I could take a bullet for Barack Obama and still people would forget my name in two weeks. I could fall madly in love, but I know he wouldn't love me back.
Life isn't a movie. as soon as people learn that, there's going to be a lot less pain on the planet.

on Aug. 29 2012 at 7:27 am
ChickenLegHouse BRONZE, Brighton, Michigan
I sort of under stand what you where getting at, but I don't agree. It depends on what movies your watching, some, many, have a lot a pain in them and struggles and, as you pointed out, don't end happiely. And thoughs are ushally the good ones, because there real. Movies can teach you things, they can show you things in ways you never thought of them before, they can make you dream and belive that you could  for a little while. And that can be a good thing.

on Oct. 27 2011 at 6:29 pm
JeremyHerbert PLATINUM, Fairview Park, Ohio

Movies only lie to you, if you fall for the lies.  They're entertainment.  Some have some heavier thematic qualities, but at the end of the day they're there to make two hours enjoyable for you.

This same argument can be made for literature or music or any other art for that matter.  "The Cat in the Hat lied to me, because no six-foot cats showed up last Friday when it poured outside."  Fiction is fiction, idealized or not.

on Apr. 19 2010 at 11:00 pm
songofheaven BRONZE, East Amherst, New York

I have found power in the mysteries of thought. -Euripides

I don't think all movies are lies. There are some pretty good movies out there with accurate portrayals of events, and people. But I think you hit the nail on the head with the statement: "Life isn't like a movie." Because you're right. Life isn't a movie. It's real, and people who think it's going to be a big happy ending all the time are severely dissillusioned.

sonnysulouff said...
on Feb. 6 2010 at 9:45 am
Thanks, glad someone likes it!

on Feb. 1 2010 at 7:45 pm
XxForbiddenLovexX BRONZE, Ventnor, New Jersey
totally agree.

good article.

short and sweet. <3

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!