Edward Cullen: Negative Influence on Teens? | Teen Ink

Edward Cullen: Negative Influence on Teens?

By jzeal SILVER, Houston, Texas
jzeal SILVER, Houston, Texas

Is the seemingly innocuous, fictional movie, Twilight, a danger to teenage girls everywhere? Edward Cullen, the dashing vampire heartthrob, is affecting girls of all ages from the U.S to the U.K, and instigating infatuation in many. The question at hand debates whether Twilight is a negative or positive influence on teenagers. Some say that one in ten teenage girls become over obsessed and it damages their relationships with friends and family. Others believe that the Twilight phase is normal and will pass in no time. Many elements of Twilight can be interpreted differently and have different effects on girls, but overall, are Edward Cullen and the Twilight series a negative and abusive example or a positive impact on teen relationships? There are many points supporting both sides to this argument, yet the case saying that Edward Cullen is a negative and cynical role model contains many unsupported fallacies.

Twilight does not negatively affect today’s youth, but instead sends a positive message worldwide. Edward Cullen is not a dangerous or abusive role model for teenage girls, and he will not make girls feel like they need to turn to abusive partners and risky relationships. He simply wants the best for Bella and looks out for her, trying his best to keep her safe at all times. The fact that Edward wants Bella to go to college and do what she wants to do with her life demonstrates that girls can have a relationship as well as pursuing their personal goals. A comment on one article from supportive mom describes, “Not only has the Twilight Saga made me and my daughter swoon for a man with such good qualities, but it has made us closer in communicating her goals in life. My daughter knows she can have a man like that AND her own life/career” (Smith 2). Edward demonstrates how to treat a girl right, but still give her the freedom she needs to live her own life. The dashing vampire heartthrob provides an example of true love and courtesy. He possesses old world characteristics and knows how to treat a girl right. Edward’s personality is a wake up call to men everywhere about how to show girls the love and respect they deserve. Edward Cullen and the Twilight obsession is just a phase. It will come, and it will go. At some point, girls will realize that not all guys are Edward Cullen. Despite this, they can still follow in his polite, Christian example. Twilight has a positive influence on teens because it encourages men to treat women right as well as showing the girls that relationships should not keep them from living their lives and fulfilling their goals. The argument that Twilight is a negative influence on teens is in many ways flawed. In the article on over obsession, the question “Is the Twilight Saga teaching our young women that abusive and unhealthy relationship are acceptable?” is raised. First, Edward is not abusive. He does nothing bad to Bella. He never once tries to hurt her and lives solely to protect her and love her. Therefore, Edward Cullen cannot be a sadistic example to teens, causing them to turn to abusive partners. The opposition argues that this twenty-three year old British obsession is causing teens to have poor relationships with friends and family, along with emotional issues. Most likely, the teens that struggle in these situations have previously suffered problems that add on to the obsession. They may have come from harsh backgrounds and formerly had weak relationships. These statistics are unknown; therefore, one cannot assume that the Edward Cullen infatuation is the sole cause. Finally, the percentage of teens that fall into the category of “intense personal celebrity worship” is not a high percentage (Smith 1). One out of ten girls may become over obsessed, but the other nine out of that ten are either not affected at all or they are positively affected. It is rare that girls will find themselves in bad situations and relationships because they read a fictional story about a loving, caring vampire. Edward Cullen is not an unhealthy obsession instigating violent, dangerous relationships in teens; it is all simply an overreaction to a common phase of celebrity worship that will come and go like everything else.

Edward Cullen and the Twilight series positively influences both teenage girls and guys by providing an example of a good relationship as well as showing girls that boyfriends do not have to control their entire lives. Edward is the perfect guy, and nobody can be quite like him, but it is perfectly okay to learn a little from him. There is no way that Edward Cullen’s actions can be interpreted as abusive or unhealthy. Saying that a fictional love story is going to send a teenage girl into a depression and ruin her is a bit of an over exaggeration. Twilight is harmless, and there is no need to freak out about its effect on teens. Do not just assume that a girl’s obsession with Edward Cullen is going to harm her in any way; it is simply a stage in teenage life that will pass. Despite the fact that Edward Cullen is causing girls everywhere to cover their walls in his pale white vampire face, the obsession will be gone in no time, and it is not a reason to panic. Edward Cullen is in no way an abusive dangerous role model; he is simply a teenage phase, making girls fall head over heals in love. So guys, why not learn a little from such a gentleman?

BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

Unsupported fallacies? I don't think so, they are Very well supported.

1. Edward is not dangerous or abusive. First of all, he's a vampire. His first instinct was to suck her blood, which would kill her. He is, therefore, dangerous. As for abusive, if you don't remember, he gripped her arm tight enough to hurt her in the second book, and on their honeymoon, aparently their sex got so intense that he left bruises all over her body.

2. Edward allows her to pursue personal goals. If you don't remember, she kept trying to apply for college in places where he is capable of going. Bella doesn't really have personal goals in the first place, but she was really set on making things better with Jacob. What does Edward do? Has her kidnapped, which forces Bella to resort to sneaking away, which means ditching school. Shows just how great their relationship is, huh? Bella never got her own life, she never went to college or did anything. She got pregnant at eighteen and now has to be careful whenever she's around her own family, as she now wants to eat them.

3. Edward Cullen sets an example for how women should be treated. First with hatred, then being stalked, then breaking up coldly with no explanation, then not allowing her to see her best friend or do anything by herself... then getting married and pregnant at 18 because she was so desperate to have sex.. yeah, no. Yes, it will lead girls to, at the very least, over-controlling partners. I don't care how many sparkles this guy sprinkles on his chest, he's not very admirable.

5. The series does not give teens emotional issues. Tell that to the girls who have posted "I can't imagine my life without Edward, I really believe he's real, I wake up in the middle of the night to see if he might have come in the window." The series gives them a false sense of what relationships are like.

6. Nobody can be quite like him. I hope to the high cosmos I don't find him. It is perfectly okay to learn a little from him. Yes, like "signs of an over-obsessive stalker".

7. It will pass. Well, it definitely did for me. I hope it goes away for everyone else.

bluhs said...
bluhs, E, Alabama
These comments and the basis for this paper are hilarious. Is Jacob a bad influence too?

bluhs said...
bluhs, E, Alabama
You're funny XD!

Lindsey35754 said...
i read through the article and i agree with you edward is a mean guy

kksexi12 said...
on Sep. 23 2011 at 10:54 am
 EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why doesn't anyone agree!!

kksexi12 said...
on Sep. 23 2011 at 10:53 am
 actually, looploou, I do have problems. For exampl; i hear things, i run away, i try to kill myself. I have a problem with you because if you don't like it then you dont like it, you dont need to be saying that we have a problem if we like it.

kksexi12 said...
on Sep. 23 2011 at 10:48 am
 totally agree with you Rosalinda!!!! love the article!!!!!!!!!!    :)

kksexi12 said...
on Sep. 23 2011 at 10:46 am
 Actually he doesn't give her much freedom because he is afraid she will get hurt. How would you feel if you were him ZeeBYoung? How do you think he feels when she is on the other side of the line? Also he does eventually let her go off if she wants.

ZeeBYoung BRONZE, Coatesville, Pennsylvania

Don't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. :)

And also, Edward doesnt really give her that much freedom. For goodness sakes he took the engine out of her car. And if she ever did leave him he'd kill himself. That doesnt exactly scream freedom to me.

I think your article is well written, but i have to disagree. I think Edward is emotionally abusive. I dont want to slam you but I'm going to ask you a question: If Edward was physically abusive, would you still think it was okay, because he "was just looking out for her?"

Anna-Akua SILVER, Taunton, Massachusetts

But the funny thing about it is I ain't even start yet
I'm only using my mind I ain't even use my heart yet
I just evolved I ain't speaking theoretically
-Keys "Dear Dummy"

you are soo right...love is bout giving!!!!!!!!

Still_Waters26 SILVER, Ladysmith, Wisconsin

"We few, we happy few/we band of brothers/For he to-day that sheds his blood with me/Shall be my brother"
-Shakespeare, "Henry V"

Well-written, but I totally disagree.  I think "Twilight" and Edward Cullen's character fills teens with an infatuation that sings "oh, there's a perfect hearthrob out there for me, and he'll never leave me!"  This is just wrong!  No one is perfect, and if a girl is expecting this, then she'll lose her bf in a matter of weeks.  She's expecting him to wrap her in his arms and never leave her, when all she has to do is open the bank for him.  Love is not about getting, it's about giving.

on Aug. 6 2010 at 10:34 am
Rosalinda SILVER, Bend, Oregon

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." ~the director of one of the shows I've been in. Another director once told me, "Rosalinda, you're funny. Keep doing that."

good points! one suggeston I'd have though is to break your article into more paragraphs...not just 2 or 3 ginormous ones. but overall awesome job!! =)

on Jul. 15 2010 at 11:41 am
PhoenixLord BRONZE, Park City, Utah

I liked that you point out this is just a phase.  You're right, it's celebrity worship of a fictional character.

Now it's been a while since I read Twilight, and if I remember correctly Edward wants to devour Bella.  He's a danger to her, she knows this, yet she decides to not only ignore his warnings, but start a relationship with him.  So while Edward never directly hurts or abuses Bella, the books seems to advocate getting into risky relationships.

Edward, as a person, isn't such a bad guy.  I'd have much more fun arguing that Bella is a horrible role-model for girls and relationships.

jbutterfly10 GOLD, Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania

There is a time for everything under the sun:~

I must say, that certainly puts a grim perspective on Twilight. I don't like it.

to wow said...
Well i wouldn't be as bold as wow, but i don't think Twlight has had a wonderful influence either.  Edward is kinda stalkerish, and just the fact that all these girls want their boyfrineds to be exactly like him just makes me sad.  Some girls are even leaving their boyfriends because they aren't Edward like enough.  Edward can be good yes, but i think more bad has come out of it than good

.... said...
thanks for sharing.

wow. said...
HAHAHAHA..... yes.. Edward Cullen is a wonderful Boyfriend..... If my boyfriend was a vampire...i'd feel safe and protected to! I mean he could suck my blood dry while i was sleeping in his arms.  OH and to mention that because of him i lied to my mother and father about falling down the stairs ... Yea great influence.... Oh and to mention that Bella almost died like...How many times? GREAT INfluence on teens...

jzeal SILVER said...
jzeal SILVER, Houston, Texas
thank you ! im glad you agree(:

TayTayBella said...
Everything in this artical is what I think too! He is NOT abusive. Actually, he doesn't want to hurt Bella. People, you are getting the abusive part all wrong :) I think boys should follow his example as well.