Do Americans watch too much television?

The comprehensive level of statistics presented in this article corroborates that Americans watch T.V., whether it is as little as one hour or as much as four. The amount of T.V. watched depends on the home environment. Families with more than one television will be likely to watch more T.V. than a family who only has one, because each person in the family can watch their own show. Children are getting the most damaging effects from the tube, because as the years go by, television intake is rising rapidly, and they are becoming addicted at an earlier age. The violence on T.V. inundates people, and yet they can’t seem to peel their eyes away from the screen. Commercials are worse than violent shows, because of the fact that they coerce the T.V franchise, and suck people into believing in their products. Food related commercials however, are the worst. The sanguine advertising makes the watcher become entranced by their product, and the zealous flashes of how to buy and where to go only make them want to buy their product more. Their thoughts become garbled and don’t understand why they are hungry, but go straight to the kitchen to get something to eat. Maybe it was the Ho Ho that was just advertised.

Watching television is an abuse situation. For families or individuals who watch hours of television a week, they can be diagnosed by a psychiatrist as having a substance abuse. They posses two more signs than needed to be diagnosed according to TV-Free America. Not only do they have substance abuse, but they could also posses other health problems such as obesity, and having a phlegmatic personality.
In this article of statistics, they are trying to bring out the awareness of TV watching. The writers expressed a poignant feeling about cutting back on television watching. It is a problem that has become serious in the last few decades, and cutting back would help our society. However, this article is a fruitless attempt at change, because the statistics are still high. Our Nation needs to realize the slippery slope that we are falling into because of television.

Dr.Jones This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Not to criticize your article, but the arguments against TV never quite made sense to me.

I grew up watching TV (movies, more specifically), and I didn't turn into a zombie-like, obese consumerist nightmare.

Instead, I've become a (somewhat) creative person, that wants to be a director, to produce and film those very same programs and films that inspired me when I was younger.

Personally, I think TV is one of the current scapegoats, along with video games and the Internet... (more »)

Zorimar D. said...
bad article no one commented yet before me hahahahah;p