A Letter To Twilight Haters

Dear Twilight Haters,

The Twilight saga has been a bestseller since 2005. However, the series was not officially popular in till first movie release in late 2008, when sales sky rocketed selling 17 million copies. Currently the film adaptation of New Moon, the second storey in the saga, will be in theaters on November 20. The movie has been highly expected by primarily teenaged fans. Many teenagers are memorized by the concept of vampires, love, and lust. I think that the success of the novel is overrated. Stephanie Meyer has an eloquent voice as a writer, the plot and characters fail to meet the standards of a romance novel in my eyes. I also think that the films have cause the saga to become more like a franchise then novels (I notice more girls are infatuated with Edwards Cullen, and think that he is a reflection of Robert Pattinson.)

Not to be stereotypical, but romance novels target a female audience. Therefore the female protagonist must be dynamic and show growth through out the novel. Many examples of this are Scarlet O'Hara (Gone with the Wind) and Elizabeth Bennett (Pride and Prejudice). Notice I did not mention Bella Swan. The book begins with Bella moving to Forks Washington, she is quiet and typical. Then when she meets Edward Cullen she learns the meaning of love. However after she learns the secret of the Cullen family she still thinks that the world would stop spinning if she could not have her precious Edward. She really doesn't grow as a protagonist which is a vital part of a novel. The characters also fall flat. In all novels there are round characters (main characters that can be described well.) and flat characters (minor characters that have a vague description.) In the book the Cullen Family is descried to be dazzling, and Edward is said to be beautiful. However intelligent word choice was used, Edward's description is superficial and vague.

The novel is also very anticlimactic. Most plots follow a simple structure where there are rising actions. An example in the novel would be when Bella moves to Forks, or when Bella and Edwards sit beside each other in class. Eventually these events rise to a point of suspense, also know as the climax. There, really is not a suspenseful climax nor is it poignant. (Bella doesn't really come to face with any danger after she learns the Cullen's secret because she is protected by Edward.) The premise of the plot is extremely generic. People are awed by creativity of a vampire love storey. However vampires were first created by Bram Stoker in 1897. Romance novels were around before even that. The combination of vampires and romance were first formed by L.J. Smith, writer of The Vampire Diaries. In the Vampire Diaries a high school girl is torn amoung the romance of two vampire brothers. Therefore the concept of vampires in love really is not that original and the plot is anti-climatic.

I cannot comprehend why Twilight gets the amount of praise that it does. The characters lack either roundness or diversity. The plot is shallow, and the concept is common. Therefore is all the success because it is a brilliantly orchestrated work, or because it has been a franchise .
Yours Truly, Blank

GodIsNotDead said...
Apr. 26 at 5:36 am:
What we see here is a textbook example of "preaching to the choir".

Teresa said...
Dec. 11, 2013 at 3:26 am:
Casey, I love how twi-hards can't answer anything but: "let Twilight aloooone! T.T", "everyone has the right to like what they want!", "respect!" Gzzz!!! People can't take GOOD critique! 

mad05 said...
Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:33 am:
Good writing but why does it matter to you what other people like . I'm a twi-heart and i love twilight , thats just something I'm into . I don't critize your likes and dislikes so don't critize ours . -mad05

reasonoverreligion49 said...
I agree with this areticle, and have an answer, it has been a franchise. It preys on readers and viewers too ignorant to see past the flat and uneventful wasteland of the elements of the story. Most faithful readers are too infatuated with the overly simplistic 'hot' characters to realize how poorly set up the books and movies are. Also, the movie doesn't even give reasons for half the things that happen, they just, well, happen. But because we who actually appreciate good literature can't total... (more »)

GodIsNotDead replied...
Apr. 26 at 5:24 am :
I have learned for myself that atheism is not true. Remember that reason has its limits. Religion has no limits.

GodIsNotDead replied...
Apr. 26 at 5:35 am :
Hello,
My name is Fernando, a convert to Christianity, or more specifically, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I believe in Christ, and state that He suffered, died, and then rose on the third day. I cannot deny the witness I've received for this truth. I believe God has set a path for me that will bring me and those I strive to help reach the same happiness He has. I have learned for myself that atheism is not true, and that and I will die for my beliefs.

more »)

Rosaa said...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 5:54 pm:
 I agree with you about everything you wrote. I admit, I did read the first three books - but I wanted to see what everybody was getting all worked up over. To me, the books were just a wasted read and I could've spent my time reading something more worthwhile. Thanks for posting this article. :)

larjona said...
May 2, 2011 at 12:24 pm:

Dear People,

Why does it matter. Some people like one thing and others like other things.

BrielleM-JustAnotherOwl- said...
Mar. 19, 2011 at 6:58 pm:

Dear EVERYONE,

Why can't we all just get along, twilight haters and twilight lovers alike?! I'm not even going to say whether I like or dislike the books/movies because it's irrelevant. Why do we all have to argue? It's pointless. Why don't twilight haters stop complaining about it and just keep their mouths shut and why don't twilight lovers stop being overly obnoxious about it?

Synestria said...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 4:54 pm:

Dear Blank,

I'm confused.  You say that it's to the Twi-Haters, and yet you yourself are tearing it down.  What point to the Twilight Haters are you trying to make?  That it sucks and is completely unoriginal?  Yeah, we already know that.  So...  Shouldn't your letter be to the Twi-hards?  For those who don't know the term, Twi-hards are the rabid mobs of teenage girls (sometimes not so teenage) who fawn over the series like it's a deity.&... (more »)

Synestria replied...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 4:59 pm :
Oops.  I just got to the point in the comments where you explained the misleading title.  My bad.  Sorry.  :)

mylifeisM6 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
For your information, I have read all the books. I could hardly get through the fourth. I have my own reasons for disliking Twilight, thank you very much, and Stephenie Meyer is a very poor writer who can't put together a sentence well enough, let alone write one of the best books in the last decade. Sexy vampire book trends aren't examples of amazing literature.

Casey__Writer replied...
Nov. 16, 2011 at 8:08 pm :
Not trying to start any thing bu t i do think this article is blander than twilight. I love twililight and yes, i have read all four books. And they are better than the movies. So at mylifeisM6 maybe it would be better to think before you post. This website is not to start commotion, it is to let people share there writing etc. and people like you sre crashing this website down. Now if you dont want teen ink to crash and burn, put your negative comments on your writing cause it sucks just... (more »)

Dear "Blank,"

I give this review a 100000/5. Twilight is the worst book/series/movie ever. It's overrated and bland. Twilight fans make me sick. You expressed my feelings in this letter. Thank you.

Sincerely,

mylifeisM6

Russelsgurl replied...
Oct. 16, 2010 at 1:28 pm :
All you TWi-haters are so biased and uninformed. Most of you haters have only seen the movies, and if you had read the books beforehand you would realize that it is one of the best literary pieces in the last decade.i Admit, the first 2 movies sucked, but you have to understand that they change alot of the material in the book when they convert it into a movie. just keep an open mind and acknowlede that it is the best series ever.

SydneyQ. replied...
Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:25 pm :
Actually some of us "Twi-haters" are not so biased. I have seen the movies, and beforehand read the books and I think that its one of those easy-reads or just for fun. Personally the characters, plot and entire storyline is just a bore.

mylifeisM6 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 4, 2011 at 3:37 pm :

Russelsgirl... I have read the books. All four of them. (I'm not counting the short novella.)

And, I still stand by what I said before. The whole theme is bland and trite. It's nothing new. The Night World series by L.J. Smith are similar in plot and they were written in 1997.

Besides, Stephenie Meyer is not an amazing writer. Take Stephen King, for example. New York Times bestseller. He has been writing for a long time. He compared Stephenie Meyer to JK Rowling and said that&nb... (more »)

Wolfen said...
Aug. 11, 2010 at 2:11 am:
I don't like twilight because Edward and Jacob are morons fighting for 1! I  repeat 1 girl! That is the reason Jacob or Edward will never date another girl! It might be a big thing now but it will not be a big thing in ten years! I'm sorry but I had to get that off my chest since the love of my life won't talk to me because of Edward! Plus making us werwewolves look stupid! That is why I hate twilight!

harrypotterrocks said...
I really don't ike twilight. I read two of the books and I really did not see a plot. My mom said it was junk. I think that everyone on this site shoud read Harry Potter. It has a bit of romance adn ,for the record is the fast selling books ever!!!

:))PeaceLoveFaith:)) said...
I personally liked the books but i agree with you on the whole movie ruined it thing i mean in the book Stephanie Myers blew me away! But the movie is nothing like the book i was so disapionted...I think the only reason im still hooked on waiting for the rest of the movies is because i think its funny the big fude over Bella choosing Edward instead of Jacob. I agree Jacobs hot but all this needs to stop. Its getting out of control!!