A Little More Explicit

“Music Speaks what cannot be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it rest, heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from heaven to the soul.”

Music is the most powerful way to express yourself. With all the instruments from tuba to guitar different beats can be made and with those beats come amazing, meaningful lyrics that can relate to you in so many ways. It is insanely, unbelievable how many genres of music are out there; I couldn’t begin to name any of them but a few such as, jazz, motown, disco, classic rock, R&B and several other soulful genres. This leads up to now where we have hip-hop, pop, metal, and even rap which doesn’t seem to be music at all. To me, rap is just meaningless, and I only listen to it for the beats which are well put together.

Unfortunately, in today’s world songs seem to repeat themselves mainly in the genre of rap. Most of the lyrics in a song are the same and begin to not make sense. They are all based on the same topic as well, like partying hard, drugs, alcohol, sex or money. It’s hard to pick out a worthy song that is thoughtful to life or to one’s self. The most predictable example would be the famous Shop Boyz “Party like a Rock Star”, the title alone explains the whole song; “Party like a rock, party like a rock star”. This is a rap song which would be the best description of the rap genre: REPEAT!

If you were born in the 1960’s, 70’s or 80’s you would know what real classic rock was. Classic rock includes The Beatles to Aerosmith and The Eagles. From ACDC to Led Zepplin and McJagar. Rock artists are still in the making but are not near as talented as these people are. Classic rock shows soul, issues and struggles and it all flows together like an undoubted conversation.

The world has now moved forth to rap artists including Eminem, Lil’ Wayne and Kanye West. There isn’t really any history behind rap besides the fact that it has become extremely popular. It’s a new genre that is widely spread across the nation and most people love it, but they have to start to realize that it is absolutely pointless to us. I do like rap, I even listen to it, but at some point in the song I figure out that there is no point in it and it’s not helping me in any way. It is mainly about themselves and their lives. Still all of these rap songs are about the same thing and repeat the same lyrics. To me, they can get annoying. Rap isn’t really singing anyway, so then why do they call it music? Well, it is known as music, but I personally do not agree. It is just words that are rhymed together with a beat added to it to make it sound like music.

Where has all the music gone? This is disappointing; nothing seems real about music anymore, it is all nonsense now. All the way from the well known motown and disco history to rap and pop. A struggle, as some people might put it or a must, as others might bring it into being. Somehow rap is addicting, I, myself find it hard to let go, it is fun to listen to and it does get stuck in your head, but there is no plot, the words aren’t recognizable or understandable. It’s preposterous.

“There’s something wrong with the world today, I don’t know what it is, something’s wrong with our eyes” by Aerosmith or “Now can I get an encore, do you want more, cooking raw with the Brooklyn boy, so for one last time I need y’all to roar”?

Dr. Green said...
Nov. 1, 2011 at 11:28 am:
This piece was somewhat well written but I honestly must disagree with Maddi. Rap is a form of poetry but it just has music and a beat added to it to reach out to more groups of people. If I showed you a rap song being read without the music and you liked it, then that would invalidate your entire article. Rap is just another way for someone to express themselves, which is exactly what you said music is. Therefore, rap is in fact a great example of music when the artist designs it from the heart.

loop2468 said...
Oct. 11, 2011 at 11:08 am:
i say that metal is beast. not all metal, rap, and pop is bad. for example a static lullaby isn't that repetitive. but i do agree with you about party like a rock star.

Pudd1016 said...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 8:14 am:
yea music is not the same these days there are a few songs out there that are about the world and how crazy its becoming we need new artists that talk about real stuff, not about sex or partying all the time

Sunshineyday said...
Rap is a lost art and by lost, I mean it used to be good and today is essenitally "dead" .  I disagree with you that rap has no history, It has a history, and a cultural signifigance, but current rap has drifted far from it.  I think the fact that you say you listen to rap means you are just looking for the right kind. Since you are a Beatles fan, i suggest you look up "talib kweli- lonely people" on youtube. IT takes the beat and/or chorus from , or 'samples' as it is called... (more »)

ColumbusFlame95 said...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 7:29 pm:
awesome article! i agree completely with you... classic rock is the best. aerosmith, ac/dc, whitesnake, guns n' roses, led zepplin, and def leppard could really rock out. im glad there are actually other teens out there who can see what real music is! :)

DreamKeeper said...
I really liked your article. I for one am a huge classic rock fan I should tell you. But I disagree with some of your writing. Although it's really good and everything, some rappers HAVE talent. They don't just write about sex and drugs and money. Some of them can really rap. No way on earth would i choose rap over rock, but there are some who can rap and rap is music all the same.

Maddi replied...
Dec. 18, 2009 at 1:31 pm :
I agree with that, all I'm saying is that music isn't the same.

musicgirl757This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Where di the good lyrics go? My four year old sister could write better songs than half of the top 40 artists. What happened to REAL music? The Beatles, AC/DC, Aerosmith? Bring back the real lyrics! Real music! Get rid of Rap!
You know what rap stands for?
Really
Annoying
Poetry
:)

kiska_puppy11 replied...
Nov. 18, 2009 at 6:26 pm :
I agree! That's pretty funny... Really ANnoying Poetry! It's soo true! What happened to the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Chicago, the Eagles
WHAT HAPPENED TO CLASSIC ROCK?

loop2468 replied...
Oct. 11, 2011 at 11:10 am :
uh, yeah. really annoying poetry. is best comment i seen all day. thanks

MProcker13 said...
Do not fear..there is still a large group of us how thrive on rock and metal. Rap will pass and perish...rock will live on.

Josh K. said...
man ur rite i remember in the good old days where there was aerosmith def leppard and led zeppelin and now theres bands like the jonas brothers and disney bands that are wasteing their time singing