Mama Mia 2! Here We Go Again | Teen Ink

Mama Mia 2! Here We Go Again

By 0falkner BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
0falkner BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Typically in the creation of films, the sequel is never as good as the first. However in the movie “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again” an upbeat movie but it depicts the first perfectly. So if you loved the first film “Mamma Mia!” you will be obsessed with the second. From beginning to end everything from the songs inspired by ABBA to the dancing fits perfectly into each scene.

One reason that made the movie so phenomenal was the attention to detail from the first movie. I feel that is what most producers get wrong, they do not tie the sequel to the first enough but with “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again” they overemphasize the elements of specifics. Between the original hotel and new, the old and new cast, the performance of the old songs, little phrases each character would say, and the attitude of everyone was spot on.

To give you an insight of the first movie, Sophie is getting married and found her mothers journal from the past when she meet three different men. Sophie, who doesn’t know who her father is, decided to invite all three men. The movie is based around Sophie trying to figure who her father is and the men trying to win over the “daughter”, it also it incorporates Donna rekindling old love

Even though the attention to detail and the roles for each character make the movie great, the ABBA songs complete the movie. From the iconic song “Mama Mia” to “I Have a Dream” to “Dancing Queen” all these songs make this movie whole. The songs are the glue to this once cracked run down hotel; and create life in not only the new reborn masterpiece, but also in all of the characters. Without the exemplary song choice to the film, the movie would never truly be complete. It not only brings back classics in a fun and exciting way, but it also incorporates some new and different pieces. Like for the finale “Super Trouper” which rejoiced the whole cast or in “Mama Mia” where you're able to see the transformation between the important characters Donna, Rosie and Tanya. Or a new piece “Fernando” that displayed the love between the characters and was a great song in the end.

A quick peek at the movie is at the beginning of the film you learn that the character Donna (played by Meryl Streep) has passed away, which has left her daughter Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) to take care of the hotel business that her mother started years ago. Since her mother’s death, Sophie has decided to recreate Donna’s vision that she has always had for her “second child” or in other words her beloved hotel.

As the film progresses it begins to switch throughout time to Donna’s young years (played by Lily James) and the present. You learned in the first movie that Donna has always had an outgoing and lively personality, but in this movie, you are able to witness it first hand. Early on you see her crazy side when she and her friends Tanya and Rosie sing “When I Kissed the Teacher” at their graduation or when Donna packs up and leaves abruptly by herself saying she wants to travel the world in order to find herself. The movie curves around Donna’s young life and portrays how this alone outgoing girl ended up on this vacant island, owning a hotel and raising a daughter.

You are given an insight into Donna’s relationships (or Sophie’s first possible father) when she runs into Harry (Hugh Skimmer) in Paris who tries to impress her with his dashing French charm. Then she moves onto romantic Bill (Josh Dylan) who is seen as a hero when he offers her a ride on his boat just after she has just missed her ferry.  Finally, she meets Sam (Jeremy Irvine) on the island, who is trying to be a striving upcoming architect. Donna instantly has a connection and develop a strong relationship with each and everyone of these characters. It is at this point in the movie that you are completely unaware of who Donna will end up.

The rest of the movie entails Sophie trying to remodel the once broken down hotel that her mom used to own. She has the help of her three fathers with this big project and with the planning of the hotels reopening party. Sophie runs into a couple obstacles throughout the film which cause her to rely on the help of her fathers and mothers best friends, Tanya and Rosie, to help her finish planning the party. Not only that but she also runs into problems with her relationship with Sky (Dominic Cooper). Will Sophie be able to fix her broken problems? You will have to watch this fun suspenseful movie to find out.

This movie shows how you can bring a modern spin on such an iconic movie from the past and also shows that if made right musicals can be a highly recommended watch.