Why Music? | Teen Ink

Why Music?

October 25, 2018
By Pkubaj55 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Pkubaj55 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Music is so simple yet so complex, so ordinary yet revolutionary, music is an art form and cultural activity that existed since the beginning of time. Almost everyone that has access to technology or not probably listens to music. No matter what genre or artist, music has been bringing people together since ancient times. Ancient Greek and Indian philosophers defined music as tones ordered horizontally as melodies and vertically as harmonies, the Greek even made a god after music, Apollo the god of music and Archery. Music was such an important aspect of social and cultural life in ancient Greece. In ancient Greece, musicians and singers played a very prominent role in Greek theater, choruses traditionally performed for celebration, entertainment, and even spiritual ceremonies. Instruments that the Greek used included the double-reed aulos and a plucked string instrument, the lyre, which was commonly portrayed being used by Apollo. Music was an important part of education in ancient Greece. Young boys were educated about music, musical literacy, and even learned how to play starting at age six. Classical and Western religious music were based on Greek music postulate and were inspired by it, which included the Greek musical modes, Greek musical literacy even created a bloom of music development. Prehistoric instruments were found from paleolithic archeology spots, flutes were often discovered, carved from bones, some were dated being over 41,000 years old, many instruments like this were found in Asia.


Modern Day music is a considerable amount more complex than ancient music, having a variety in choice and genres, showing a connection and a link between technology and music, making music electronically instead of with instruments using beats. Even so, that doesn’t mean instrumental music is dead, if anything it is more alive than ever, Everyone has their own specific type of music they enjoy listening to, whether it be RNB, country, hip-hop, rap, or countless other genres. People all around the world react to music in various different ways, they might get relaxed or maybe even angry. In my own musical taste, I often listen to rap and hip-hop, listening to artists such as Drake, Travis Scott, and many more with their own flow and style. Each song has its own vibe to it, which can be relaxing and empowering. In my life, music has played a major part in it, in the third grade I had the option to learn how to play an instrument, my elementary school offered lessons, concerts, and many other musical oriented events. I was given the choice to select three instruments that we would have to constantly train and practice with, ranging from most desired, to least favored. The top of my list was the violin, the second was trumpet, and the third was percussion. My brother and cousin both selected violin when they had the option, so I felt as if that would be a good start to follow them in their footsteps. I was never really good at keeping beats or following along on the music sheet, and often I didn’t even practice. Wise words from my parents led me on a musical path, I was on the verge of quitting when my dad told me that back when he was my age, he never had the same opportunities that I had and he wished he could play an instrument, he informed me just how impactful having an attribute, like music, is on my life. From then, I learned how to play many instruments, such as violin, guitar, and the flute. Later on in 7th grade, I began to develop my musical taste, my brother even showed me Spotify, a free app that allows you to play almost any song you want to and create playlists and mixtapes with it, my first playlist had almost 300 songs, it was almost over 3 hours long, and filled with music that inspired me. Since then I’ve been listening to music for all kinds of various reasons, I always listen to music when I’m doing homework, sure it makes me procrastinate, but most of the time, it deepens my focus, including when I’m playing video games or exercising. Just doing chores or work, I pop in my headphones in and travel to my own musical world.

However, others may listen for various other reasons, possibly if someone is going through a hard time, or they just need music to remember who they, maybe even to articulate their emotions. Music helps me go through tough times, when I’m just lying in bed, or when something tragic has occurred. Others also often listen to music in the same way, maybe even as a coping mechanism or just to lie down and fall asleep. I feel as if not everyone is musically talented or gifted, but playing an instrument is a major attribute to have, or maybe even a talented voice. Music shouldn’t be judged, it has been with us for ages and it reflects off of ourselves, who we are, and what we need. Whether we listen to music just for the music itself or for a multi-layered meaning, music is what brings us together, and it’s a universal language we all should know and possibly even understand. In my opinion, you must feel music in order to truly understand what makes it so valuable and treasured among people all around the world


The author's comments:

I love listening to music, almost everyday I listen to some kind of music, and this piece is just my view on it.