Primrose Everdeen, the true role model | Teen Ink

Primrose Everdeen, the true role model

By jordyn801 BRONZE, Auburn, New York
jordyn801 BRONZE, Auburn, New York

Sometimes characters in books and movies can be inspirational and very strong role models.  Katniss and Primrose Everdeen are great examples of this. Prim is very fresh faced in the morning as if like a raindrop in a newly sprung storm.  She is the light in a dismal world, covered in coal dust from the mines in which her district is known for, the same ones that killed her father in an accident when she had just a miniscule stature.  With her bright blonde hair and eyes the color of the sky, she matches the flower for which she was named, and could walk down a runway and wouldn’t be out of place.

With not even enough food for her entire family to be fully fed, Primrose takes in whatever stray animals she can.  She saw a scrawny stray kitten, infested with crawling fleas, and it’s stomach swollen with a whale of worms. She cried to give this kitten a place to sleep in her home.  He had a smushed in face and half an ear missing, he was bright yellow with eyes that matched the look of rotted squash. She also fell in love with a goat, which worked out for her family.  She decided that the Everdeen household needed to bring in this dairy goat, or as Katniss saw it another mouth to feed, but it let her family have milk and cheese, something they wouldn’t have been able to afford without her.

The females in the Everdeen households were known as the healers for generations.  Primrose wanted to follow in the footsteps of her ancestors. Even in the outbreak of a full blown war, Prim’s only thought was how can she help people.  She entered the war effort as a healer, at the age of thirteen, she helped all the people fighting in her side of the war, the rebels, for equal treatment for everyone and an end to the massive slaughter of teenagers.  This slaughter is punishment for the first time the people rebelled, and yet Prim is ready to help heal the rebels who caused this mess because she believes that everyone is equal. Being a healer eventually led to her premature death, this is because she was helping victims who got caught up in a bombing.  The victims she was working on though, we're not the rebel victims, they were victims from the other side of the war that Prim thought still deserved to be saved.

Katniss is in the front line, everyone looks at her and can clearly see the strong role model she is.  She was loyal to her alliances when she was inside the arena of the Hunger Games and she rose up to being her nicknames of “the girl on fire” and “mockingjay” being a symbol of the rebellion asking for fair treatment.  She hated the stray animals in her home and hated the fact that the person she was supposed to protect wanted to heal people and put herself in danger. Clearly Katniss is a strong role model but, lurking in her shadow is her little sister, Primrose, who is a stronger role model that is not given the limelight.