How People See Actors; Rant | Teen Ink

How People See Actors; Rant

By MissMaddyM GOLD, Lakewood, Colorado
MissMaddyM GOLD, Lakewood, Colorado

"After all we've been through... everything that I've done... it can't be for nothing" -Ellie, The Last of Us

It’s strange how people see actors and their characters. Isn’t it? I mean, they watch something or read something and fall in love with the characters. They fall in love with them for their looks or their personality, then immediately love the actor just because they play that character. Like Norman Reedus. People fall head over heels for him just because he plays Daryl Dixon in “The Walking Dead”. They don’t personally know him, so why do they love him?

It’s because of the character he plays. They fall in love with the character, they fall in love with the actor. It’s common sense in the Movie/TV show industry. It’s how the actors make money. Fame. Popularity. You play a likeable character, you become liked. But what the people reading or watching don’t know, is that the actors are literally ACTING!

They don’t sling a crossbow over their shoulders, they don’t drive around on motorcycles and blow up tanks, they don’t go around killing zombies, It’s all made up stuff they use to get you to like a character, and in turn, like the actor. If Norman Reedus walked out on the streets, plenty of people would notice him now! But, if he was just a normal person, blending in with the fabric of the world, walking on the streets, everyone would just see him as a random stranger who just exists. That’s the only reason acting is a good career. Play a great character, be noticed. Of course, not all actors are like that. But how can we be sure? They could just be acting!

Just a little rant about how people see actors that I did at 2am.