They Ask Me Why I Run Away from Love | Teen Ink

They Ask Me Why I Run Away from Love

By WishalArslan SILVER, Karachi, Other
WishalArslan SILVER, Karachi, Other

When I show ignorance towards love or relationships, people are like “Did someone betray you?”, “Are you the victim of one sided love” and a few people may even think someone left me.

They’re surprised when I don’t find anything adorable in the couple that roams around every corner holding hands. They ask me in a sarcastic tone if I’m a human since I don’t show interest in all those love songs and romantic movies. They ask me why I never believe the guy who shows interest in me.  Little do they know, I am not somebody who hates the idea of soul mates. I am infuriated by the idea of two people promising forever to each other and making false claims.

They ask me what happened. I’ll tell you what happened. I’ve held my friends in my arms when they broke up. I've accumulated all their broken pieces and attempted to make them entire once more.  I’ve seen them losing themselves in the process of loving someone who left them. I’ve wiped their tears and I’ve seen them being helpless and frail. I've lost the old happy friends into somebody they themselves scarcely recognize.   I’ve spend most of my time with them just so that they don’t take any suicidal step. I’ve tried to make memories with them just to make them forget that the person who promised them a future and happiness took both of these things away from them.

And then you ask me why I don’t want to step into love?

I don’t want to feel helpless and robbed off after I get out of it or when he leaves me because honestly, people don't have the foggiest idea about the promises they're making when they make them. I’m sure no one would want to enter into that phase where you’re left alone with people sympathizing you because “HE IS NOT WHAT YOU THOUGHT HE WAS”. I would prefer not to land on hands that are not able to handle the weight of my boundless love.

Therefore, next time you ask me why? Remember that I don’t want to fall in the same mud that I washed off my friend's heart because it hurts to see someone close to you in pain and knowing you can do nothing.

When you can't make them understand, write for them.

on Jan. 2 2017 at 3:21 pm
WishalArslan SILVER, Karachi, Other
@AishaAkhtar This writing is a piece of an answer as to why I maintain a distance from relationships. And while it may vary from person to person, this was my shield that always helped me not to welcome anyone who could wrap these best bunch of memories around with false claims and leave one day. So what I'm trying to say is I will rather have a bicycle that knows how to carry me; not the one that sees EXIT as the only door. World is full of exceptions though.

AishaAkhtar said...
on Jan. 2 2017 at 2:41 pm
AishaAkhtar,
@WishalArslan through all your one woman parade you talked about how you helped your friends through their breakups .You may not agree with me but what you are saying is that you won't ride a bicycle because it wasn't reliable ,people were hurt from it. The reason you won't date is because you are afraid of the heartbreak. You won't take the bait because you are drawing conclusions about your love live from what your friends went through.Let me point it out for you that you were not there when your friend was making memories ,happy ones with their special someones.It isn't always necessary that something good has to come out of a relationship ;sometimes it's a regret but sometimes it's the best bunch of memories you will ever have.