They Ask Me Why I Run Away from Love | Teen Ink

They Ask Me Why I Run Away from Love

January 2, 2017
By WishalArslan SILVER, Karachi, Other
WishalArslan SILVER, Karachi, Other
6 articles 4 photos 2 comments

When I show ignorance towards love or relationships, people are like “Did someone betray you?”, “Are you the victim of one sided love” and a few people may even think someone left me.


They’re surprised when I don’t find anything adorable in the couple that roams around every corner holding hands. They ask me in a sarcastic tone if I’m a human since I don’t show interest in all those love songs and romantic movies. They ask me why I never believe the guy who shows interest in me.  Little do they know, I am not somebody who hates the idea of soul mates. I am infuriated by the idea of two people promising forever to each other and making false claims.


They ask me what happened. I’ll tell you what happened. I’ve held my friends in my arms when they broke up. I've accumulated all their broken pieces and attempted to make them entire once more.  I’ve seen them losing themselves in the process of loving someone who left them. I’ve wiped their tears and I’ve seen them being helpless and frail. I've lost the old happy friends into somebody they themselves scarcely recognize.   I’ve spend most of my time with them just so that they don’t take any suicidal step. I’ve tried to make memories with them just to make them forget that the person who promised them a future and happiness took both of these things away from them.


And then you ask me why I don’t want to step into love?


I don’t want to feel helpless and robbed off after I get out of it or when he leaves me because honestly, people don't have the foggiest idea about the promises they're making when they make them. I’m sure no one would want to enter into that phase where you’re left alone with people sympathizing you because “HE IS NOT WHAT YOU THOUGHT HE WAS”. I would prefer not to land on hands that are not able to handle the weight of my boundless love.


Therefore, next time you ask me why? Remember that I don’t want to fall in the same mud that I washed off my friend's heart because it hurts to see someone close to you in pain and knowing you can do nothing.


The author's comments:

When you can't make them understand, write for them.