On the Subject of Love | Teen Ink

On the Subject of Love

On the Subject of Love,

You will inevitably fall in love. That is a cruel and sick fact of life. You will find someone and decide, this is the person I will allow to corrupt my life. The one who will destroy my desirable figure. The one who will ruin my independence. The one who will have me, and abuse me with years of torture through harsh words and venomous insults. What is so enticing or enchanting about the abuse and misogyny that overthrows every romance? Why should I condemn myself to such a hell? There is no point in letting someone dictate your life simply because we are under the misconception that one could love you completely and entirely. There will be the limits, and they will be reached. Once the breaking points have been touched, there is nothing more to do other than

Collect the pieces.

Put the pieces together.

Cover the cracks with glue and tape.

Paint the organ red.

Lock it away.

Ignore the fact it is decaying.

On the Subject of Love,

You will fall in love. That is a beautifully terrifying fact of life. You find someone and decide this is the person I will allow to become part of my life and myself an extension of theirs. We will create a charming life together with small ones pattering around and we won't mind how there are cracks in my skin nor how the once taunt skin now hangs limply because we created the pattering ones together. Love is not simple; Love is a divine tragedy. We will throw daggers of words and throw insults but the knives are of foam. There will be a small bruise, but those will heal. Why should we deny ourselves such a simple luxury? There is all the reason in the world to fight for something so precious and delicate in the world as someone loving you for who you are and taking your faults with the rest of you. There are limits, but upon reaching those limits, we have a choise to let it pull us apart or we have a choice of pushing through the limit. Once the breaking points have been destroyed, there is nothing more to do than

Collect the broken pieces.

Take the needle and thread.

Patch each other up.

Hold each other's hands.

Ignore everyone trying to tear y'all apart.

On the Subject of Love,

Your opinion here.

Just some opinions about romantic love.