What a True Friend Means | Teen Ink

What a True Friend Means

May 1, 2016
By AnnabellSu GOLD, West Windsor, New Jersey
AnnabellSu GOLD, West Windsor, New Jersey
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My definition of  a ‘true friend’:

Do you have a best friend? What about them makes them your best friend? Over the past 14 years that I have lived on Earth, I’ve made friends of all sorts from many different places around the world. I have had memorable moments with old friends living on the other side of the Earth and I remember bad experiences with friends filled with drama and fights. Although I would definitely not place myself anywhere near wise or knowledgeable, from my past experiences I can confidently tell you what a true friend is.

Friends are why we have purpose in this world. We help each other when we are weak. Friends depend on each other for comfort and support. It isn’t just all about having a fun time, although that is important as well. When we are stuck in tough situations in life, friends are usually who we turn to if not family. As the saying goes: Hard times always reveal true friends. Friends will stick by your side no matter what you are going through and will support you in times of need. There will never be a fear of being alone or abandoned when you have a true friend. Furthermore, friends will show you the light. They redirect you when you get lost. They are your backbone and you are also fully committed to helping them back in their times of need. Friendship is a two way street.

In addition, true friends are the people you feel comfortable around. You don’t have to put up a mask and hide yourself in front of true friends, for they will not be quick to judge and are understanding of your unique personality. They are trustworthy of your secrets and things you find personal. In some cases, friends may even save your life. Obviously, friends can be anyone anytime, but a true friend is for a lifetime.

Being a true friend is dedicated to spend your blood, sweat and tears with another person you care about. We all have many friends but finding a true friend may take more than just a year. For me, I didn’t find my true friend until this year. So take your time and when you do find a true friend, you will know it. I encourage you to work toward being that true friend to as many people as possible. I believe that genuine happiness cannot be achieved unless we find our true friends in life. It may take a while, but friends shape your life and who you are. Having friends in my life is one of the things I am most thankful for. Friends are for life and when you do find them, treasure every moment you have with them.