True Friendship | Teen Ink

True Friendship

By dreamteenwriter BRONZE, Minster, Ohio
dreamteenwriter BRONZE, Minster, Ohio

“You’ll never be brave if you don’t get hurt. You’ll never learn if you don’t make mistakes. You’ll never be successful if you don’t encounter failure”- Anonymous.

What's friendship? By dictionary definition, friendhsip is a relationship of mutual affection between two or more people. To me however, friendship is more than just a simple relationship of affection. Friendship is the willingness to never give up on the person or people you care about. It's the never ending acceptance of someone no matter their mistakes or flaws. But what would happen if we didn't have friends or friendship didn't play a role in our lives? How important is it that we have strong bonds with someone?

To me, friendship is something that no one can take away even when they try. The thought of no one person caring about another in a friendly way is undeniably horrifying. For me, my friends are the most important people in my life. I know that some people may say family is more important, but my family members are just like my friends in life. Friends are very crutial because everyone needs someone to be there through every obstacle in life. I have had my challenges and during each of which I had someone there to lean on and cry or laugh with no matter what the circumstances came to be. I know that if I didn't have these people I would have gone totally crazy and would have done some unthinkable things. When I made mistakes or didn't know what to do they stepped up and helped me own what I did wrong or helped to find the right answer about what I needed to do. However, we all know someone who says they are your friend, but when you need them most they turn away.

Why say you're truly someone's friend and then turn your back on them? Maybe it's because they have money, or you want to know what's going on in their life so you can tell everyone else. Is there truly a good reason to do that to someone? I would have to say no. I know some people don't have friends and I don't know how they do it. Life without friends would be like a building without supports. That building could crash and burn and that's exactly what I believe would have happened to me if I didn't have someone there for me through thick and thin. That brings me to the thought of if someone is acting like your friend they are weak supports in your building. A true friend is a support that will be like iron and steel standing strong through any storm that comes your way.

As an anonomyous person once said, "Side by side or miles apart, friends are friends, close in your heart." So remember, when a storm comes through you shouldn't have to worry about whether your building will crash or stand straight and tall when it passes, because you have true friends standing underneath a beautiful person adding support. Friends are the people you know will never leave your crazy life, even if they step out for a break the true ones always come back.