What Adults Don't Understand

By , Bon Aqua, TN
My mom was reading one of the poems of this magazine the other day, and she did something that really irked me. She was reading a poem from the February issue, Nothing Like. When she was finnished reading, she let out a 'humph', like she didn't actually belive that "kids" like us could know what love is yet. Like love is only for responsible adults. Well let me say something right here and right now: By the time you are thirteen, you have probably been in love. There I said it. Now people can argue about it.

Keli S. said...
Nov. 27, 2010 at 12:13 am

this is true. im 14 and i just broke up with my first love. we were together for a little over a year and started dating when i was 12. but knew i was in love with him before a little after i turned 13. my sister was in love when she was 13 to. and mom mom was to.

in my opinion young people can fall in love at a young age even if it doesnt last forever. not all good things do.

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
why do you want to fall in love if it doesn't last?  then you end up giving only part of your heart to Mr. Right.

Keli123 replied...

i never really thought of it as giving only part of my heart to Mr. Right. this is because he's been kicked out of my heart. i look at him now and feel nothing. [this may be due to various circumstances of that relationship that i wont get into now because thats very off topic, but i gess i wont be sure].

anyway in my opinion we cant always decide if we fall in love or not. we cant always help what we feel. he was also my first love so i didnt really know how hard it would be after t... (more »)

i still disagree and think that you can help it.  plus when you're younger, trust me, when i was 14, i thought like you did, it's not the same thing as when older teen feel when they, "fall in love".  i'm glad you're ready to wait.  :)

Mysteria2000 said...
Nov. 7, 2010 at 2:25 am
I agree with you. As everyone grows older, there understanding of the world becomes more complex and changes, it may be a more simple form of love and yes alot can be a simple crush. But at the same time who can really say who has felt love or not. Feelings cannot be forced or taken and i think its wrong for people to say love is a thing of age.

SUNDRY said...
I KNOW THAT ADOLESENCE IS  AN AGE VULNERABLE TO THE LURES AND TRAPS OF FANTASISES. AND LET ME CORRECT YOU. MOST OF THE TEENAGERS THINK THEY ARE IN LOVE. BUT NO. IT IS JUST A TEMPORARY CRUSH. TRUE LOVE IS WHEN YOU ARE BETHROTHED TO A MAN OR A WOMAN OF YOUR DESIRES. CAN YOU MARRY THE SAME GUY OR GAL YOU DATED WITH IN HIGH SCHOOL???? NO. IF SO THEN I CAN TAG IT AS "A RAREST OF THE RARE CASE." NEVERTHELESS I LIKED YOUR PERSUASIVE WRITING

MangoMadness replied...

Oh, please. Don't insult our intelligence. Clearly you're a bitter adult or bitter kid who knows nothing. I have had many crushes, and one true love. I know what it feels like. I loved him, warts and all, more than life itself. I would have died for him, been tortured for him, anything. I said "I love you" a thousand times, and still it was not enough to express my adoration.

Just because you've never felt true love, or something, does not mean the rest of the world is th... (more »)

Averyactor replied...
Don't jump to assumptions. Allow them to express their opinion, and even if they are an adult let their honest opinions be heard too.

Macker replied...
To be completely serious I am about to turn 14 and I still haven't had a boyfriend, while all of my friends have. I don't think age is a factor, I think its who you are around. I mean if you are raised around people who date everyone at their school, you will probably do the same. If you are raised around strong women who wait untill they know  they like someone enough to have a serious relationship, then you will probably be like them.

rock on macker!  don't get a boyfriend until you're ready for it.  i'm 17 and don't have a boyfriend.  it's awesome!

Macker replied...
Jan. 26, 2011 at 10:57 am
Thank you!

Superblyme said...
Nov. 5, 2010 at 1:39 am

I get and know where you are coming from. I do believe love exists at this age, but i don't believe TRUE love exists at this age, there is A BIG diifference. . . Thi sis my full opinion on it.

At this age we are just now getting into relationships and boys/girl and we get to the point where we like a guy/girl, then like them for so long or so much that the only word we have to describe it is love. It's like we like them that much and like is an understatement and love is the next ... (more »)

Superblyme replied...
Nov. 5, 2010 at 1:39 am
I dont know why it commented twice lol

i fart in school said...
this is why parents have problems with kids, for making dumb comments like this! like for real parents get a life, and let us learn on our own and what not gooodnesss !!!!!!! ahhh!!!!

Keli S. replied...
Nov. 27, 2010 at 12:15 am
i totally agree with this comment in particular. parents need to learn that we dont always learn a bout stuff from being told about it. we need to experience it oursleves half of the time. and i think this is one of those situations. :)

bRonwYn_e said...
hey, author here...when i wrote this so very long ago, i did not realize that this simple paragraph would get so much attention. thanks to all who commented!

blippi replied...
I think that truly being able to love someone has a lot to do with maturity. I'm not saying that teens can't love, but they shouldn't fall in love until they are older because it entails a lot of emotional responsibility that most are not ready for. the thing is, as people get older they grow change....the person you fell in love with when you were sixteen could be a completely different person 5 years from now. The teen years are years for growing and having fun, not getting your hear... (more »)

TrinityCreed said...
Well, not to set a flame but we as teens and kids dont have a concept on love. We don't; but one thing is for sure: your mother shouldn't have checked on your stuff like that. Bad enough my dad checks on my email and some other stuff. I feel that parents should butt out of our 'personal space.' If we as kids respect our parents ,how is it that we can't be respected back? So in basic terms I agree with you partially.

DeathLover replied...
Oct. 14, 2010 at 11:05 am
Well in my belief people know the difference between actual love and just puppy love. You can feel it in your soul.

SamiLynn said...
You are never too young to love <3 and just because some people fall in love faster, it doesn't mean their love is any less genuine.

C.D.Vitta said...
I'm guessing that perhaps some consider it love, others a crush. Personally I had a crush from 9 to 14, and I've seen others who have been in love. I'm ok with that. However, when teens take it TOO seriously (movie-style) it bughs me a bit.