What Adults Don't Understand

By , Bon Aqua, TN
My mom was reading one of the poems of this magazine the other day, and she did something that really irked me. She was reading a poem from the February issue, Nothing Like. When she was finnished reading, she let out a 'humph', like she didn't actually belive that "kids" like us could know what love is yet. Like love is only for responsible adults. Well let me say something right here and right now: By the time you are thirteen, you have probably been in love. There I said it. Now people can argue about it.

SUNDRY said...
I KNOW THAT ADOLESENCE IS  AN AGE VULNERABLE TO THE LURES AND TRAPS OF FANTASISES. AND LET ME CORRECT YOU. MOST OF THE TEENAGERS THINK THEY ARE IN LOVE. BUT NO. IT IS JUST A TEMPORARY CRUSH. TRUE LOVE IS WHEN YOU ARE BETHROTHED TO A MAN OR A WOMAN OF YOUR DESIRES. CAN YOU MARRY THE SAME GUY OR GAL YOU DATED WITH IN HIGH SCHOOL???? NO. IF SO THEN I CAN TAG IT AS "A RAREST OF THE RARE CASE." NEVERTHELESS I LIKED YOUR PERSUASIVE WRITING

MangoMadness replied...
Nov. 27, 2010 at 4:11 pm :

Oh, please. Don't insult our intelligence. Clearly you're a bitter adult or bitter kid who knows nothing. I have had many crushes, and one true love. I know what it feels like. I loved him, warts and all, more than life itself. I would have died for him, been tortured for him, anything. I said "I love you" a thousand times, and still it was not enough to express my adoration.

Just because you've never felt true love, or something, does not mean the rest of the world is th... (more »)

Averyactor replied...
Nov. 27, 2010 at 9:57 pm :
Don't jump to assumptions. Allow them to express their opinion, and even if they are an adult let their honest opinions be heard too.

Macker replied...
Jan. 10, 2011 at 7:11 pm :
To be completely serious I am about to turn 14 and I still haven't had a boyfriend, while all of my friends have. I don't think age is a factor, I think its who you are around. I mean if you are raised around people who date everyone at their school, you will probably do the same. If you are raised around strong women who wait untill they know  they like someone enough to have a serious relationship, then you will probably be like them.

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 24, 2011 at 8:01 pm :
rock on macker!  don't get a boyfriend until you're ready for it.  i'm 17 and don't have a boyfriend.  it's awesome!

Macker replied...
Jan. 26, 2011 at 10:57 am :
Thank you!

Superblyme said...
Nov. 5, 2010 at 1:39 am:

I get and know where you are coming from. I do believe love exists at this age, but i don't believe TRUE love exists at this age, there is A BIG diifference. . . Thi sis my full opinion on it.

At this age we are just now getting into relationships and boys/girl and we get to the point where we like a guy/girl, then like them for so long or so much that the only word we have to describe it is love. It's like we like them that much and like is an understatement and love is the next ... (more »)

Superblyme replied...
Nov. 5, 2010 at 1:39 am :
I dont know why it commented twice lol

i fart in school said...
this is why parents have problems with kids, for making dumb comments like this! like for real parents get a life, and let us learn on our own and what not gooodnesss !!!!!!! ahhh!!!!

Keli S. replied...
Nov. 27, 2010 at 12:15 am :
i totally agree with this comment in particular. parents need to learn that we dont always learn a bout stuff from being told about it. we need to experience it oursleves half of the time. and i think this is one of those situations. :)

bRonwYn_e said...
hey, author here...when i wrote this so very long ago, i did not realize that this simple paragraph would get so much attention. thanks to all who commented!

blippi replied...
Oct. 14, 2010 at 4:29 pm :
I think that truly being able to love someone has a lot to do with maturity. I'm not saying that teens can't love, but they shouldn't fall in love until they are older because it entails a lot of emotional responsibility that most are not ready for. the thing is, as people get older they grow change....the person you fell in love with when you were sixteen could be a completely different person 5 years from now. The teen years are years for growing and having fun, not getting your hear... (more »)

TrinityCreed said...
Well, not to set a flame but we as teens and kids dont have a concept on love. We don't; but one thing is for sure: your mother shouldn't have checked on your stuff like that. Bad enough my dad checks on my email and some other stuff. I feel that parents should butt out of our 'personal space.' If we as kids respect our parents ,how is it that we can't be respected back? So in basic terms I agree with you partially.

DeathLover replied...
Oct. 14, 2010 at 11:05 am :
Well in my belief people know the difference between actual love and just puppy love. You can feel it in your soul.

SamiLynn said...
You are never too young to love <3 and just because some people fall in love faster, it doesn't mean their love is any less genuine.

C.D.Vitta said...
I'm guessing that perhaps some consider it love, others a crush. Personally I had a crush from 9 to 14, and I've seen others who have been in love. I'm ok with that. However, when teens take it TOO seriously (movie-style) it bughs me a bit.

frogsof2015 said...
Extremely true. There is no age limit on love, it's something that just happens. There's no explaining it. So why is there a minimum age limit on love? It's stupid.

liv.laf.love13 said...
Aug. 9, 2010 at 11:52 am:
i agree!!!!!

CheyGurl said...
Jul. 18, 2010 at 11:40 pm:
This is very true... i hate when people tell me you odnt know what love is cause im 14 age has nothing to do with it... age is just a number and thats it.

MWolf9 replied...
Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:27 pm :
I completely agree. If you truely fall for a person, it matters if he treats you with the proper respect that you deserve.

FluteChick said...
Jul. 18, 2010 at 10:31 pm:
I'm 17 and haven't yet felt that I've found THE ONE. Sure, I've dated/liked a few guys, but I soon realize I'm not quite ready for a relationship that deep. I mean, I have a friend that's 14 and SHE thought she was in love with this guy but once she got to know him, she realized she didn't really know who he was and that it wasn't really love. She realized that you can't REALLY LOVE at that age. And I agree. It's best to wait, rather than be hung up on a guy. If I sound bitter, it's not b... (more »)