An Open Letter to Weak Girls | Teen Ink

An Open Letter to Weak Girls

By valgoingplaces BRONZE, Northbrook, Illinois
valgoingplaces BRONZE, Northbrook, Illinois

“Another glorious day, the air as delicious to the lungs as nectar to the tongue.”
― John Muir

Brace yourselves for the grand epiphany of my night. Are you ready? Here it comes…

Boys fall for weak girls.

As a strong willed, clear minded, and overall self-determined young lady, this realization comes with a sharp bite. High school boys are desperately immature in their desires, and only consider a relationship proper if they’re the ones who reap the rewards. More often than not, high school boys date girls who won’t argue with the boys even when what  they say is wrong, simply for fear of having to be single and independent. These girls will say “I don’t care” when asked what they’d want to do for date night, even though they’ve wanted to go laser tagging or bowling ever since they started dating. These girls will settle for another night of delivery pizza and “watching a movie” rather than demand that their partners actually come up with an engaging activity for the night, all because they’d rather not change the way things usually are. Some will sit and wait for a phone call on a Friday night, rejecting their friends in hopes that their boyfriend will leave BWW before 11 and might want to see her. And boys love every minute of it.

Tonight, I’m addressing every girl out there that makes herself out to be smaller than what she could be. Girls, if you’re put down and shut up every time you begin to talk about your ambitions and plans for the future, get out. Sure, you’ll be on your own, and it’ll probably be absolutely terrifying at first to not have someone text you a “Goodnight baby ;)” before you go to bed. Guess what? You’ll be better off on your own. Learn to be independent and to talk about everything good in your life and laugh loudly so that strangers around you know that you’re obnoxiously satisfied with your life. Be your best person without hoping that you’ll be them when someone comes along to complete you. Make the boys deserve you. Don’t throw yourself at just anyone who shows interest in an attempt to prop yourself on them like a coaster under a wobbly barstool. This won’t solve any of your problems except change your Facebook relationship status until it briefly falters into nothing. Tell them you’ll annihilate them at laser tag, and make sure you have the opportunity to show them rather than just settle for yet another night on a basement couch. One day, someone will come along and want to be with the respectable, kick-ass, independent you, and you’ll perfectly accommodate each other like rhizobia and legumes.

If you read all this and now you’re thinking “What do you possibly know about feelings or dating anyone? Who do you think you are telling me I’m weak?”, I applaud you. I’m single, and I’m doing great. If you’re in love and satisfied with your relationship, you’re doing great. That being said, if you’re not happy with the way things are, make sure you put yourself first, because your vulnerability will only make your situation worse.

As for you boys, make sure you listen to your girl. Stand your own ground, but surprise her with your compassion. Look for the girls who dream big and know where they’re going, and you’ll never be bored again.