Where Does True Happiness Come From? | Teen Ink

Where Does True Happiness Come From?

By Corinne McCrossan BRONZE, Amherst, New York
Corinne McCrossan BRONZE, Amherst, New York

Where does true happiness really come from? Some may argue that happiness (or lack there of) is rooted from the surroundings in someone's life, or external aspects. Contrary to that belief though, true happiness really comes from within, and a person must use their mind, spirit, and beliefs to be happy, and ultimately determine their own happiness. This idea is demonstrated throughout the book Ethan Frome, by Edith Wharton, where the main character, Ethan, must learn to trust his feelings, and what his heart and mind are telling him.

In the book Ethan Frome, it is proven that true happiness comes from within, rather than from external sources. "He would have liked to stand there all night with her in the blackness." Ethan did not care what time it was, all he cared about was how happy he was feeling at that very moment. "Ethan's heart was jerking to and from between two extremities of feelings, but for the moment compassion prevailed." Because of the fact that his wife, Zeena, was not present at that moment, Ethan is happy and doesn't have to worry about feeling guilt or betrayal towards his wife. He knows he secretly loves Mattie, and is glad he can show his true feelings of happiness with her in that moment.

Happiness coming from within can also be proven by professional journalists and psychologists. "No object or action is inherently good or bad, it can only be interpreted as good or bad. So if you change that interpretation, you have the ability for anything to make you happy." (Redefining Water: Happiness) This says that any physical object or action preformed does not determine a person's happiness; a person recognizes something and decides them self if it makes them happy or not. "By trying to exert control you create expectations and when those expectations are not met you're left with unhappiness." (Redefining Water: Happiness) This statement says a person creates expectations for things and for themselves, and whether those expectations are met or not determines if it creates happiness for the individual or not. This further proves that happiness and unhappiness are not a result of external factors, but from within one's mind and heart.

Some people may argue that happiness does not come from within, but that it is a result of external factors in someone's life. Opposing opinions also may state that certain people or types of people have reputations in society, and if an individual fails to live up to those expectations, they will be unhappy based on other's opinions and the "rules of society". This is not true, thought. Only an individual person can determine their own happiness. Happiness is simply a mindset, and if a person wants to be happy, and tells them self that they are going to be happy, that is just what they'll be.

Happiness is not something that is a result of external factor in a person's life. People recognize physical and materialistic objects, but it is up to the person them self whether a particular something makes them happy or not. This is shown in the book Ethan Frome in his struggle and hope for true happiness.