The Sappy Side Argument | Teen Ink

The Sappy Side Argument

By rylez BRONZE, Eden, Texas
rylez BRONZE, Eden, Texas

"God has the power to perform miracles; you just have to give him something to work with" -Bardin Striegler

Should you see with your heart or your eyes? This question sparks an embroilment within me. On one side (the intellectual side) I argue that the heart has no emotional base, it pumps blood it keeps you alive; it doesn't have the ability to feel or see- that’s your brain’s job. Then you have the other side (the sappy side) that desperately attempts to cling to this fantasy of a society that holds compassion and somehow by some miraculous feat feels for others with this element of anatomy that never housed the power to partake in this sensation of emotion, but the reality is we see with our eyes, we feel with our mind, and we live with our heart.

As humans we make first judgments based on what we see and hear; we draw conclusions from certain situations and that begins a chain reaction of feelings and perturbation in our mind that in-turn has the power to change the way think and how we perceive society; and while all this is happening within our cranium our hearts are doing the only thing it’s made to do: distend blood and oxygen to all parts of our body including our brain.

People argue that “a man once loved a woman so much he had a heart attack” although I highly doubt this to be true, it almost helps me make my point. This man housed so much partiality for his ‘beloved lady’ that when she left him, his brain went into shock because his emotions had overtaken him and his heart paid the price.

Although this piece of me wants to cling to the sappy side of this argument, I can’t because when people see with their hearts they get broken.

I like writing