Love Handles | Teen Ink

Love Handles

By DesmineRobinson PLATINUM, Melvindale, Michigan
DesmineRobinson PLATINUM, Melvindale, Michigan

"Life is an opportunity."
"Different is normal."
"We have to love ourselves, so we can properly love someone else."

Love can handle, what the lover can't.

Can a lover, handle love from someone who lives life hanging onto handles, because they're too afraid to trust another person with their innermost thoughts?

Love can handle that.

Can a lover, handle losing the presence, the appearance, or the concrete participation in another person's life.... or having it only limited to one night, and never again?

Love can handle that.

Can lovers, handle one night stands? Death? Cheating? Domestic abuse? War? Racism? Sexism? Lies? Molestation? Betrayal? Rape? Discrimination? Poverty? Theft? Challenges? Failure? Bluntness? Hatred? Jealousy? Humility? Embarrassment? Differences? Pain? Worry? Financial burdens? Children? The past? Injustice? Murder? Suicide? Assault? Risks? Mistreatment? Mental illness? Terminal illness? Cancer? Diabetes? Crones Disease? ALS? Memory loss? Insecurities? Self harm? Inhibitions? Unhealthy addictions? Sin? Imperfections? Perfection? Violence? Peace? Adventure? Stillness? Boredom? Excitement? Bullying? Mistrust? Forgiveness?

Love can handle that.

Sometimes our love is stronger than us, the ones who give it. 

Sometimes we can't turn the other cheek or open our arms up to strangers and our enemies- we have the fear of being stabbed in the back. We're afraid of the worst scenarios, which do happen. We get so afraid to be ourselves, so afraid to reveal ourselves, to come from inside that castle in isolation and let a person in for once. As afraid of being with someone who hurts us forever, we are, just as afraid to be alone with no one to love us, but with  memories of someone hurting us.

We grasp our pillows at night, how many nights of feeling "loveless" can Iovers handle? How much can a Iove handle? How long can a lover go on without real love-

When love has been here all along.....
love is forgiveness, love is acceptance, love is progression, love is healing, love is understanding, love is trusting, love is meditation, love brings us together, peace, security, prosperity, balance, sisterhood and brotherhood.

Love is like a heavy weight that not everyone can lift, so we just drop it and move onto something smaller like isolation or hate... because these things we can lift. And though we grow in strength, we grow with no endurance- that's why evil cannot last on... hatred and isolation aren't meant to endure because they only end in themselves. While love.... love ends in a various form of expression. Love equals endless possibilities.

If a people can make hideous history happen with hate, why can't a people make pleasant futures begin?

I was interested in the phrase "love handles" and I wanted to play around with it- I wanted to make it solely about relationships and say "he can't handle love because he's focused on your lovehandles" but it turned into a universal message about how we can better things with love.