Give Yourself Time | Teen Ink

Give Yourself Time

By BaileyL BRONZE, Papillion, Nebraska
BaileyL BRONZE, Papillion, Nebraska

Without strength there is no progress

The  belief of giving myself time lingers in the back of my head twenty-four seven. Every so often I notice that I look at objects and like too fast, I either want to grow up too fast or I am caught up in the bast. I constantly think of memories that have hurt me, affected me, and changed my life. But then, I think of the phrase, give yourself time. I believe in this powerful statement because I've seen proof of it.

My parents divocred when I was 12 years old, my parents were heart broken because they each thought they were each others soulmate. As time passed, I saw the happiness building back up, and the love being welcomed back into empty hearts. I look at my parents now and I see the spark of happiness back in their eyes, their hearts filled with love, their stomachs getting those annoying yet warm feeling butterflies. I tell myself that was all from the passage of give yourself time.

I didn't think that giving yourself time was actually a thing, I thought you had to make yourself happy again instantly to forget. But life isn't all about being happy one-hudnred percent of the time. It's ok to be sad, hurt, broken, lost, and steaming red hot of anger. I know I am human, I am not supposed to snap back like a rubber band to a perfect and good condition. I am suppose to give myself time and surrond myself with people who love me, care for me, want the best for me, and will eat junk food with me when there is a broken heart involved. A broken heart can take three weeks to heal or it can take six months. It all depends on the situation. Was it the love? Did he take some of your heart when he left? Those are all questions that have to deal with a hard time, that you need to give yourself time.

Pretty soon I will say I am going to meet someone who will care for me, love me for me, make those butterflies appear when he looks at me, but then I rememeber I am only sixteen years old. I have my whole life ahead of me, why not live it? Guys are not important at this age. Giving myself time is like letting God take the wheel for me,  he has my life planned for me with great people. Just live life and see what happens. A lot canhappen between the age of 16-26. You just have to walk down a windy road to get there. Yes, I will have some breaking points as the road goes on. But, I know that I just have to give myseld time. This I believe.

I was inspired to write this piece by dealing with a bad break up. It was hard to get over but my mom told me just to give myself time. That phrase has always been in the back of my head and it works. I gave myself time and I am a happier person. I am not living in the past, I am simply focusing on life and the people who are important to me.

BaileyL said...
on Mar. 21 2015 at 8:34 am
Thank you so much! It means a lot(:

author122130 BRONZE, Rio Rico, Arizona

The worst risk taking is not taking one

I love this. It is so true & I can totally relate