My Affected Future | Teen Ink

My Affected Future

March 4, 2015
By andilynn28 BRONZE, Brownsville, Oregon
andilynn28 BRONZE, Brownsville, Oregon
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives"


Everyone experiences an event, in their lives, that will affect their futures. The affect can be positive or negative, determined by what happened. When I was 11, I experienced an event that affected my future as well as my views on love. This event changed how I saw love and marriage. Thanks to the event I'll be smarter with being slow with love.

Ever since the divorce, I've been hesitant with love. I think about marriage, and the I think about the divorce and it scares me. I'm scared that it will happen to me. Even with dating, I say no because of the same reason and the fact that I'm still too young.

My views on marriage have changed now that I have had this experience. When I was younger, I only saw the positive parts of marriage. I was oblivious to the negatives. Even while my parents fought, I was happy. The divorce is what woke me to the fact of how broken our family really was. I now know that my decision won't just affect my future.

My day to day life is different from when my parents were still together. My mom got remarried and now I have two step-brothers. I've finally understand what it's like to feel depressed. During my seventh grade year, I pretended to be sick just so I didn't have to go to school. Depression took over my life. Throughout all of the pain and heartache I went through I feel as if this experience has made me stronger. 

After all, thanks to this event I'll be smarter with being slow with love. Im scared I'll be hurt by someone I love. I didn't see what was happening to my family. I let my depression get so bad that I didn't want to do anything. People should take their time with love instead of rushing it.