Secret of the Best Friend | Teen Ink

Secret of the Best Friend

By a-living-mystery BRONZE, Round Rock, Texas
a-living-mystery BRONZE, Round Rock, Texas

Yesterday was history, tomorrow a mystery, but today is a gift that is why it's called the present.

Everyone wonders what a best friend should do in life. But the key to being the world's greatest best friend is knowing when your friends need you and how to help them when they can't help themselves. I learned this from the best:my best friend.

Its easy to listen and be there for the one's you love that's what makes friends friends. But going beyond what is called for and beyond the expectations that's a true friend. My best friend (who for all intensive purposes I will call DF) demonstrated tho in a remarkable way. You see for months I had became severely depressed and had lack of sleep because of nightmares. I was hiding a secret from the world around me. A secret that I couldn't bare yet couldn't share. After months of torturing myself privately I disclosed this secret to DF. He held me close and comforted me but didn't say much afterwards. Two weeks passed and everything seemed as it should, but that would change. The police came looking for me and informed me that someone had notified them of my predicament. They wanted to get me help. I was furious I won't lie I couldn't believe that he deceived me. I wouldn't talk to him for a while because I felt betrayed. Soon though I came to realize he knew I needed help but I was unwilling to accept it myself. He did what he needed knowing fully well of my reaction to help me. Ever since he was by my side.

You see being a true best friend one who doesn't just listen and sit on the sidelines, that's what a real friend is. We all have that ability. The ability to help those we care for when they dont ask for it but need it. That's the true love of a best friend. The secret of a truly great best friend is love to do what is right no matter what. Now the question is if you can do the same? Can you do the hardest possible thing to protect and help a friend by speaking up for them? Its up to you. I've shared my words of wisdom that I've learned from DF, now it's your chance to be that great best friend.

This piece is dedicated to my best friend DF, who took a chance which he knew would upset me to get me the help I needed. I love you DF and you know who you are. You became my real life hero.