Young Passion Dissipating | Teen Ink

Young Passion Dissipating

December 1, 2014
By hannahrosee BRONZE, Babylon, New York
hannahrosee BRONZE, Babylon, New York
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Most people are searching for happiness outside of themselves. That's a fundamental mistake. Happiness is something you are, and it comes from the way you think.


In this generation it is almost impossible to find absolute, true, passionate, good, old-fashioned love. Imagine you’re in an old-fashioned diner. It’s about 1950 and you’re sitting at a booth with red, worn leathered seats, a mile long bar table that has remanence of sticky maple syrup on its surface wraps around the diner. You’re date, charming and handsome is holding a creamy, vanilla shake motioning you to take a sip. He watches you as your  bright red lips sip out of the red and white striped straw. You smile and he smiles back. Your hand rests on his shoulder as you lean up against the bar stool, your other hand balancing yourself on the other stool, legs crossed. A simple love just like this one is what we need more of. Her date was not scrolling through his cell phone or liking another girls instagram photos. In the diner scene the young man is devoted and intrigued in his lovely date. The power of technology has made it easy for people to hide behind something. When people hide behind their phones it takes away the lust, the head over heels feeling of being in love. It makes it easy to say, “I love you”; it makes it easy to ask, “will you go to prom with me?”; it makes it easy to ask, “will you go on a date with me?”. We are losing our passion; we are losing the vision of passionate love that brings all different kinds of people together. We are missing young love, like the way your hand brushes up against his and then easily, almost unquestionably slips into an intertwine, the way he calls you by your first name and middle name, the way he teases you, the way he introduces himself to your parents with confidence. Those are qualities of passion. In this generation boys have an image of the perfectly skinny, blonde hair, blue eyes, type of girls. It’s an extremely terrible quality that has brainwashed them. I’m not saying girls have the same outlook because we don't. If I see an attractive guy, of course I’d smile and whisper to my friends how adorable he is. But I certainly wouldn’t hide the fact that I thought he was cute. I wouldn’t date him automatically because I thought he was attractive either. So maybe, just maybe, we’d make the eye contact, we’d leave our friends and introduce each other, and finally, face to face, we’d start. “Hey”. Love starts with an introduction, to take that leap of faith and get back to the old love, the good love, the love that is needed more on this earth. 
 


The author's comments:

I was inspired to write this piece after seeing a really love spoken movie and the harsh reality of love being downscaled in this generation.