Are High School Relationships Overrated? | Teen Ink

Are High School Relationships Overrated?

By Kianna Fiedler BRONZE, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Kianna Fiedler BRONZE, Oshkosh, Wisconsin

By the time most teens are in high school, they’re starting to look for a more serious relationship. They begin searching for something that’s at least a couple steps up from the cheesy dramas of the middle school relationships that they were used to: the bashful hand holding in the hallway, maybe seeing a movie together, with their parents a few rows back, and other incredibly awkward yet incredibly common practices. Having reached high school, a new milestone in their lives, is a romantic relationship really a smart or necessary thing for them to be pursuing? In reality, high school dating is distracting and destructively pointless.

While teens should be spending their high school days laying a strong educational foundation for the rest of their lives, they often times get distracted by the pain of overly dramatic and intrinsically doomed relationships. They are brought down by problems that should really be postponed until there’s more of a potential for a lasting, mature relationship. Instead, they willingly sacrifice their time and sanity for a cause that almost everyone but them knows isn’t going to pay off in the long run. What are the odds of a high school relationship lasting forever? 

If I had a dollar for all the drama that I have overheard from my heartbroken peers, I’d quit this whole high school thing and head straight to my own private island. Unfortunately, the heartbroken haven’t paid me in cash, but I’ve been reimbursed by the wealth of dating knowledge I’ve acquired over time. Seeing kids that should be careless and enjoying their childhood crying their mascara off over some video game addict with a 9:00P.M. curfew really put a sour taste in my mouth about the whole high school dating concept as a whole. 

In conclusion, I wish kids today would be able to see that they will have time to date people in the future. Now is the time that they should appreciate their freedom and bask in the privilege of being allowed to be carefree. There will come a time in their lives when they will have to start worrying about grownup things: mortgages, doctor appointments, car insurance, grocery shopping, etc., so why fast forward to the worrying days? If kids in high school focus on building strong friendships and laying solid future foundations instead of fretting over unnecessary relationships, they could set a good tone for the rest of their days. I say, kiss dating goodbye until you’re ready to invest seriously in it as a fixture of your future. Until then, enjoy your freedom.

ThatCheekyMonkey SILVER, Cork, California

Expect the Unexpected <3

Very entertaining to read! I love your style of writting, its humerous and informative. I agree with your idea, however, kids will always try to look for excitment.  First love is a new experience they never felt before and they will only over dramaise it in High school. The only time they actually get to be reckless and gullible is in high school. Thats where most memories involve and also brings great memories for your children in the future of how your 'first boy was too addicted to xbox'. You can only be crazy like that in High School, people will judge you if you act immaturely about love as a grown up. They should cherish school years as new romances, nonetheless,focus on school first and don't let it affect their grades. However. Let kids be Kids.  Dramatic love should stay in high school and not be brought into life of Adult world since adults needs to handle too much responsibilites, and don't need know boy/girl who is a new commer to romances. They need to know how it was to be broken in order to appreciate Love in future.