Love in My Opinion | Teen Ink

Love in My Opinion

By Taylor Fillmore BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan
Taylor Fillmore BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan

How do I feel about love? That’s a funny question even to me. It’s like I told my friend, there are so many people out there in this world searching for love. They force love just to feel some type of happiness. Love, in my opinion, is one of the most highly misconceived feeling or even thought to exist. Being in a relationship shouldn't mean constant mistrust, arguing, or miscommunications. Many teenagers, including myself, have been or are currently in relationships where we struggle to be happy with that person. We tell ourselves we love them. That everything is going to get better. That is not love.

People easily fall in love with the idea of being in love. We all strive to be loved. I mean it’s a great feeling to have someone care about you. You might love the idea of being in a relationship, or love that person for who they are, but whether you're actually in love or not is something you should never have to question. Truth is I may have loved my first boyfriend for who he was, but I don't know if i was ever in love with him. I regret thinking I was, because sometimes the people who you had once cared about more than anyone, are the ones who want to hurt you the most when it’s over. So what I have to say is, if you’re going to be in love make sure it’s with someone really special to you. Tell them how much you care about them, how happy they make you. Look at them like they are the most perfect person to walk this Earth and know that when they look back into your eyes that they are feeling the exact same thing. Fall in love with someone whose smile makes you smile, someone who makes you laugh, someone that gives you butterflies just from entering the room, just be in love with someone who loves you back. Love someone who loves you for all the little things and takes the time to remember them, but most of all love someone who stays even when the times are tough. Never search for love, love will find you.

canaryairy SILVER, New York, New York

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing the lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain." --Jack Kerouac

I love this line: "People easily fall in love with the idea of being in love." It's so true and encompasses my own observations of myself and my friends. Excellent piece!