The Meaning of Forgiveness | Teen Ink

The Meaning of Forgiveness

By writer99 GOLD, Rochester Hills, Michigan
writer99 GOLD, Rochester Hills, Michigan

So I just want to think through the idea of regret. How does it drive a person and how does it eat one up inside? I think back to a moment in my life in which I truly wish I could take back. At the moment, my mind wanders to my freshman year when I so easily chose friends over my family. To this day, I can see how that decision put a barrier between my relationships. However, I did not realize it at the time. I was lost in my own world and didn’t bother to think of the consequences until it was too late. I think that’s how regret works. In order to feel regret, you must do something worth wanting to take back. You must go through an ordeal so powerful, so life-altering, that nothing in the world seems worth risking more in that moment than that. So why do we do it? Why throw away our entire state of mind for a moment of pleasure, or a moment of release? There must be a reason hidden deep within us all that allows us to so easily drift in and out of the real world enough to make decisions without understanding the outcome. Some unearthly desire that answers to our deepest desires rather than our earthly conscience. So how do we begin to forgive those who so clearly allowed themselves to be ripped apart like such a savage? Do you know the answer? Does anybody know the answer?

I think I have something that may help.
Take a moment and think to yourself,
Are you not human as well?

Self-revelation during a time of heartbreak.

on Sep. 4 2014 at 1:15 pm
Brittany1996 SILVER, Waupun, Wisconsin

Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game.

This was an interesting passage, many deep questions that made the reader (me) want to keep reading.